The 25 Year Club was a social club for employees of the United Church of Canada with twenty-five years of service. It was created circa 1959 by Nellie Swarbrick and Mabel Cranston of the Board of Foreign Missions, and Lillian Wright of the Missionary and Maintenance Department.
736 Outreach Corporation was established in 2011. It was an incorporated ministry of the Toronto Conference. The main function of the incorporated ministry was to manage and distribute the funds received from the sale of the Bathurst Street United Church building, formerly the building that was operated and used by the Bathurst Street Centre for Peace and Justice. The Corporation ran a grant program, where finances were distributed in a single payment or in a multi-year programs. The grants were distributed to assist community programs and charitable organizations that fit the mandate of the corporation. Bathurst Street Centre for Justice and Peace was an incorporated ministry of the Toronto South Presbytery. Its purpose was to “continue the development of a climate of partnership in which not-for-profit groups, committed to and acting for social justice and peace, can find solidarity with each other, support from the church and freedom to pursue their own approaches in all their diversity”. During the Toronto Conference presbytery reorganization in 2008 the Centre’s relationship with the Toronto South Presbytery ended and it became an incorporated ministry of Toronto Conference.
George Abbs (1822-1904) was a Methodist minister and editor and book agent of the Canada Christian Advocate. He was born in Arlington, England. In 1851 he married Susan Inglehart of Palermo, Ontario. He was ordained in the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1851 and served in the Toronto, London and Niagara Districts. He was at Nelson in 1863. From 1864 to 1870 be served in The Barton and Hamilton Circuits and was the Editor and Book Agent of the Canada Christian Advocate.
Abingdon Presbyterian Church was active at least from 1888 to 1906.
The Adam Fiddler United Church is located at the Sandy Lake First Nation reserve. The records of the Adam Fiddler United Church are held at the Prairie to Pine Regional Council Archives located in Winnipeg.
George Kenneth Baker Adams, (d. 1932), was a Methodist minister in Western Canada and Ontario. George Adams migrated from England to Port Carling (Ontario) at age 14. He became a Methodist probationer in 1878 and was ordained as a Methodist minister in 1881. He served churches in Western Canada and Ontario until his retirement in 1927. He also served a term as President of the Manitoba Conference.
John Basil Adams (1913-1999) was a United Church of Canada minister. Born in Mainsville, Ontario, Adams obtained his B.A. from Queen's University, his B.D. from Queen's Theological College and his masters' degree from McGill University. He was ordained by Montreal & Ottawa Conference in 1943. He served the following charges: Aylwin (Que.), 1943-1944; Oxford Mills (Ont.), 1944-1947; South Mountain, (Ont.), 1947-1950; Elgin (Ont.), 1950-1953. He joined the Royal Canadian Chaplain Corps in 1953. After retiring from the military in 1968, he founded and served as the first director of COHR (Counselling and Human Relations Institute). He retired in 1988.
J. Basil Adams died on October 8, 1999.
Addison United Church, located at 9007 County Rd 29 in Addison, was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. Addison Methodist Episcopal Church was formed in 1881 and was originally part of the Farmersville Circuit with Athens (Farmersville), Addison, Greenbush, Glen Buell, Towriss (a former community near Glen Buell), New Dublin, Rocksprings, and Moore's and Washburn Corners. In 1884, following the formation of the Methodist Church of Canada, Addison Methodist Circuit was created, which included Addison, Greenbush, Rocksprings, New Dublin, and Moore's Corners. The Addison Church joined the United Church in 1925 as part of a four-point charge with Greenbush, New Dublin and Rocksprings.
In 1960, Rocksprings joined Frankville-Toledo Pastoral Charge and New Dublin joined Lyn Pastoral Charge. Addison and Greenbush became a three-point charge with Athens United Church. Greenbush would later close ca. 1968 but trustees continued to care for the church building until 1986.
Athens-Addison Pastoral Charge disbanded and each congregation formed its own single-point charge in 2013. Addison United Church remains an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.
Arthur Peter Addison (1871-1954) was a Methodist/United Church minister. He was born in Lloydtown, Ont. In 1900 he married Elizabeth Ann Scoley. He was ordained in the Methodist Church in Toronto in 1900 and served in various churches in Ontario. He served at North Parkdale from 1921-1924, and Humbercrest from 1924-1929, when he retired.
Adjala United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist and Presbyterian.
Admaston Pastoral Charge was formed in 1925; formerly Presbyterian; it included Grace Church in Admaston, Northcote, Barr's, and Hayley's.
Adolphustown - Conway Pastoral Charge was formed in 1925 as Adolphustown Pastoral Charge, formerly Methodist. It included United Empire Loyalist Memorial Church in Adolphustown Township, Conway, Hayburn, and Sillsville until Hayburn and SIllsville closed ca. 1966. At that time Adolphustown and Conway joined Bath Pastoral Charge and remained part of that charge until January 18, 1983 when the two congregations formed a new two-point charge Adolphustown-Conway Pastoral Charge. It is an active pastoral charge of the United Church of Canada.
Prior to 1982, various regional groups existed to provide support and strategies for lesbians and gays in the United Church: United Church Gays and Lesbians of B.C.; One Loaf (Regina); The Council on Homosexuality and Religion (Winnipeg); TOUCH – Toronto United Church Homosexuals; and United Church Gays and Lesbians of Quebec (UCGLQ). The latter group, UCGLQ, offered to host and organize a gathering in Montreal days before the 29th General Council in August 1982 to explore the possibility of establishing a national network within the United Church for gay and lesbian persons.
AFFIRM – Gays and Lesbians in the United Church of Canada was established on August 5, 1982 as a national network of regional groups of lesbian and gay members and adherents of the United Church to: "Affirm gay and lesbian people within the United Church of Canada, provide a network of support among regional groups, act as a point of contact for individuals and speak to the church in a united fashion encouraging it to act prophetically and pastorally both within and beyond the church structure."
Open to all gay and lesbian people associated with the United Church of Canada, AFFIRM members could participate at the annual general meeting and establish local groups which would have representation on the National Consultative Council. The National Consultative Council, consisting of chairperson(s), secretary/treasurer, and local representatives, would appoint functions to the local groups, deal with policy making, and to make decisions between general meetings.
Affirm worked with the support of allies within Friends of Affirm, an organization of lay and order of ministry people who supported the aims and programs of Affirm. Affirm/Friends of Affirm submitted briefs to church and government decision-making bodies, spoke at church meetings, and offered educational events and resources. The Affirming Congregation Programme was launched by Affirm and Friends of Affirm in the summer of 1992 to provide materials to study the issues of inclusion and welcoming of diverse peoples, namely gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people. Participating United Church organizations become Affirming Ministries.
At a joint 1994 annual general meeting, the decision was made to merge Affirm and Friends of Affirm at the national level to “afford new opportunities for all people regardless of sexual orientation to work together.” The new organization was named Affirm United/S’Affirmer Ensemble.
George Affleck was born in Lanark, Ontario on March 7, 1912. He was educated at the University of Toronto, Emmanuel College, and St. Andrew's University in Scotland. He was ordained in the United Church in 1939 and was awarded an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree by Union College (Vancouver) in 1969. George Affleck and his wife, Fronia, served United Church congregations in British Columbia, including Skidegate, Kimberley, Vernon, Crescent Beach (Surrey), Powell River, Port Alberni, and Parksville. From 1972 to 1977, he was Presbytery Officer for the Vancouver Island Presbytery. George Affleck died July 15, 2000 at Nanaimo, B.C.
Methodist and Presbyterian activity in Agassiz dates back to the early 1890s. The Methodists formed a Quarterly Official Board in Agassiz in 1895, and a Presbyterian congregation was formally organized in 1900. The latter came to be called Geneva Presbyterian Church, by 1908. In 1925 the two congregations joined together to form Agassiz United Church. This constituted a pastoral charge in Westminster Presbytery from 1925 to 1959, when it was absorbed by the newly created Fraser Presbytery. In 1969, Agassiz United Church joined Rosedale United Church in a two-point charge known as Agassiz-Rosedale Pastoral Charge. This arrangement continued until 2013, when the congregations became separate charges once again.
The Agnes Street Bible Christian Church joined the Methodist Church in 1882.
Ahousaht Residential School was located just south of Marktosis #15, of the Ahousaht First Nation, on the southeast end of Flores Island on the western shore of Vancouver Island, British Columbia. The Presbyterian Church in Canada operated a day school/informal boarding school on the site from 1895-1904. From 1904-1925 it was a residential school; funded by the Government of Canada and operated/managed by the Woman’s Missionary Society of The Presbyterian Church in Canada. In 1925 the management and operation was transferred to the the Board of Home Missions of The United Church of Canada until the school was officially closed in January, 1940.
A Presbyterian mission was established among the Ahousaht First Nation in 1895 on the west coast of Vancouver Island, and with the formation of the United Church of Canada in 1925, it became Ahousaht United Church. Besides a church, the records indicate that an "Indian school" (as it was known at the time) was also operated by the mission, which was sponsored by the Women's Missionary Society of the Presbyterian Church and later also received support from the Board of Home Missions of the United Church of Canada. In 1962 the federal government assumed full responsibility for the school. The congregation itself was, based on yearbook statistics, a port of call for the West Coast Marine Mission from ca. 1954 to 1976. Thereafter, it has either been part of the Long Beach Pastoral Charge or has received pastoral supply from Long Beach. No evidence of common internal administrative divisions besides a church board are given by the records.