Showing 9241 results

People and organizations

Affirm United

  • Corporate body

Prior to 1982, various regional groups existed to provide support and strategies for lesbians and gays in the United Church: United Church Gays and Lesbians of B.C.; One Loaf (Regina); The Council on Homosexuality and Religion (Winnipeg); TOUCH – Toronto United Church Homosexuals; and United Church Gays and Lesbians of Quebec (UCGLQ). The latter group, UCGLQ, offered to host and organize a gathering in Montreal days before the 29th General Council in August 1982 to explore the possibility of establishing a national network within the United Church for gay and lesbian persons.

AFFIRM – Gays and Lesbians in the United Church of Canada was established on August 5, 1982 as a national network of regional groups of lesbian and gay members and adherents of the United Church to: "Affirm gay and lesbian people within the United Church of Canada, provide a network of support among regional groups, act as a point of contact for individuals and speak to the church in a united fashion encouraging it to act prophetically and pastorally both within and beyond the church structure."
Open to all gay and lesbian people associated with the United Church of Canada, AFFIRM members could participate at the annual general meeting and establish local groups which would have representation on the National Consultative Council. The National Consultative Council, consisting of chairperson(s), secretary/treasurer, and local representatives, would appoint functions to the local groups, deal with policy making, and to make decisions between general meetings.

Affirm worked with the support of allies within Friends of Affirm, an organization of lay and order of ministry people who supported the aims and programs of Affirm. Affirm/Friends of Affirm submitted briefs to church and government decision-making bodies, spoke at church meetings, and offered educational events and resources. The Affirming Congregation Programme was launched by Affirm and Friends of Affirm in the summer of 1992 to provide materials to study the issues of inclusion and welcoming of diverse peoples, namely gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people. Participating United Church organizations become Affirming Ministries.
At a joint 1994 annual general meeting, the decision was made to merge Affirm and Friends of Affirm at the national level to “afford new opportunities for all people regardless of sexual orientation to work together.” The new organization was named Affirm United/S’Affirmer Ensemble.

Aikenhead, James R., 1863-1946

  • Person
  • 1863-1946

Rev. James Robert Aikenhead was born in Toronto in 1863, and died at the age of 83, June 16, 1946. Aikenhead entered the ministry at age 21 and his charges in Toronto included Westmoreland Avenue United Church, King Street United Church, Davenport Road United Church. Aikenhead’s wife was Elizabeth Dimsdale who was the first woman evangelist to be appointed by the Toronto Conference of the Methodist Church in 1885. His daughter, Gertrude Aikenhead was superintendent of the Fred Victor home for Girls, and he also had a son, James Aikenhead.

Ailsa Craig Pastoral Charge (Ont.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-

Ailsa Craig Pastoral Charge was formed in 1925 at church union and included: Ailsa Craig and Carlisle. Brinsley United Church would join the charge ca. 1956 with the dissolution of Crediton Pastoral Charge. It is still an active pastoral charge of the United Church of Canada.

Ailsa Craig United Church, located at 156 Main Street in Ailsa Craig, was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian.

Brinsley United Church, located at 34713 Brinsley Road in North Middlesex, was established in 1925, formerly Methodist.

Carlisle United Church, located at 19 Falkirk Street in North Middlesex, was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian

Albert College (Belleville, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1857-

Albert College was founded in 1857 by the Methodist Episcopal Church as the Belleville Seminary. It received it's University Charter in 1866 and was renamed Albert University. At this time it was an affiliate of the University of Toronto. Once the Methodist Churches united as the Methodist Church of Canada in 1884, the school federated with Victoria College. At this time the school became a high school. The original building was partially destroyed by fire in 1917. The current building located on the Dundas Street West opened in 1926 and was affiliated with the United Church of Canada. The School began admitting girls in 1934.

Albert Street United Church (Oshawa, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1925-1996

Albert Street United Church was established in 1925; formerly Methodist. South Oshawa Methodist Mission was established in 1910 and the first church opened in 1914; it became Albert Street United Church when it joined the United Church of Canada in 1925. in 1996 the church amalgamated with Centennial United Church in the former centennial building.

Albion Primitive Methodist Mission (Ont.)

  • Corporate body

Albion Primitive Methodist Mission included Bolton, Albion, Columbia, Tecumseth, Shiloh in Albion Township, Caledon East, King Township and Palgrave; it was active from at least 1851 until 1884, when the Methodist Church, Canada was formed.

Albright (family)

  • Family
  • 1888-1960

The Albrights were a Methodist/United Church family in Beamsville, Ontario. Charles Raymond Albright was born 1888 March 26 in South Cayuga. His parents were Josiah D. Albright and Sarah Moyer. He grew up in Beamsville, Ontario. In June 1917, he was ordained into the ministry of the Methodist Church. He retired in June 1952 and returned to Beamsville. His wife was Jean Little Wright. Other family members were his brother F.S. Albright (Fred), killed at Passchaendale in 1917, his brother W.D. Albright (Don) and his sister Mrs. Roy Hobden (Margaret). Before his death in 1960, Rev. Albright gave to The United Church of Canada a piece of property in Beamsville. This property later became the location for Albright Gardens, a community for retired United Church personnel.

Albright Gardens (Beamsville, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1950-

Albright Gardens Retirement Community is home to 41 households on a 25 acre parcel of land in Beamsville, located along the Niagara Escarpment. The original lands for the project was donated by Rev. Raymond Albright this coupled with funds donated by Miss Elsie Watt, launched the development of the seniors housing community in the 1950's. The project was intended to provide affordable housing for retired United Church personnel.

Albright Manor (Beamsville, Ont.)

  • Corporate body

Albright Manor was opened ca. 1968, when it became necessary for nursing services to be provided for the United Church pensioners in Albright Gardens

Results 21 to 40 of 9241