Showing 9214 results

People and organizations

All People's Mission (Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.)

  • Corporate body

All People's was one of the first 'union' churches in Ontario, an amalgamation of the work of Presbyterian and Methodist urban missionaries and church workers, which took place in 1920. The Mission offered outreach and social services to 'new' Canadians, especially Italians, and to the urban poor, as well as work amongst adults. During the Depression the Mission operated a soup kitchen. In 1967 All People's Mission amalgamated with John Wesley United Church, and the its former building was demolished.

All People's United Church (Hamilton, Ont.)

  • Corporate body

Hamilton's All People's United Church was opened in 1926 to serve new Canadians in the city, particularly Chinese, Japanese and Italian families. In addition to church services, the Mission provided community services to its constituents including summer camps for disadvantaged youths, visitation of mothers, and recreational activites for adult males. Much of the records of the Mission were destroyed by a fire in 1947, and a new building was opened in 1948. All People's was closed in 1965.

All People's United Church (Sudbury, Ont.)

  • Corporate body
  • ca. 1930-

All People's United Church, located at 400 Antwerp Avenue in Sudbury, was established ca. 1927 as a mission to serve new Canadians in the Sudbury area, particularly Italian, Hungarian, and Finnish families. The All People's Mission Church was dedicated on January 5, 1930. This building was destroyed by fire in February 1946. The congregation temporarily met at the Finnish Hall, Sudbury until a new building was built and was officially open in October 1948. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

All People's United Church in the early 20th century was often a multiple-point charge. The other points included at various times the following congregations: Copper Cliff, Creighton Mines, Frood, Garson, Gatchell, Grassy Lake, Kelly Lake, Levack, Naughton, New Sudbury and Trout Lake.

All People's United Church (Welland, Ont.)

  • Corporate body

All People's United Church in Welland began as a point on the All People's Industrial Mission, which included, at various times, Niagara Falls, Allanburg, Dain City, Port Colborne, Thorold South, and Welland South; ca. 1969 All People's Industrial Mission was discontinued and All People's Pastoral Charge was formed, consisting of Maple Leaf Church in Welland, and Welland South - ca. 1992 it became a single point charge

All Saints Church (Noranda, Quebec)

  • Corporate body
  • 1979-2007

All Saints Church, established in 1979 was a shared ministry of the United and Anglican Churches in Noranda, Quebec. It closed on June 17, 2007.

Noranda - Rouyn United Church was established ca. 1926 with the formation of Rouyn Mission Field. A church building was constructed in 1929. In 1979 the congregation joined a shared ministry with the Anglican Church to form All Saints Anglican Church.

North-West Quebec Pastoral Charge was formed ca. 1938, and included Arntfield, Belleterre, Bousquet, Cadillac, Duparquet, McWatters, and Normetal. It was discontinued ca. 1959.

Arntfield United Church was established in 1939. It closed ca. 1958.

Allen, Annie Whitburn, 1878-1973

  • Person
  • 1878-1973

Annie Whitburn Allen, (1878-1973), was a Methodist/United Church missionary to Japan. Miss Annie Allen was born in Montreal on 1878 August 6. Her father, James Allen, was a Methodist minister. Annie Allen received her B.A. from Victoria College, University of Toronto in 1902. She attended the Methodist National Training School in 1904 and 1905. She was appointed to Japan by the Woman's Missionary Society in September 1905. Annie Allen returned to Canada in 1940 and retired in 1946.

Allen, James, 1843-1918

  • Person
  • 1843-1918

James Allen, (1843-1918), was a Methodist minister in Ontario. He was born in Ireland in 1843 and came to Canada when he was three years old. He entered the ministry in 1869. He graduated from Victoria University in 1875, taking his M.A. degree in 1880. Most of his pastorates were in Ontario where he filled both rural and city charges. In 1902 he was made president of the Toronto Conference and Superintendent of Missions, spending four years in helping to establish Methodism in New Ontario, or Nippissing. In 1906 he was elected General Secretary of Home Missions and held the office until his death.

Results 61 to 80 of 9214