Showing 9241 results

People and organizations

Allenford - Park Head Pastoral Charge (Ont.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1932-

Allenford - Park Head Pastoral Charge, formerly known as Allenford Pastoral Charge, was formed ca. 1932 when Park Head United Church joined Allenford to form a two-point pastoral charge. It is still an active pastoral charge of the United Church of Canada.

Allenford United Church, located at 7763 Highway 21, South Bruce Peninsula, was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. Allenford Methodist Church was established in 1876 and was later part of a circuit including Elsinore, North Derby, County Line (Salem) and Skipness. The church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925 and first formed a single-point pastoral charge until ca. 1932 when Park Head and Allenford created a two-point charge. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

Park Head United Church, located at 59 Park Head Road, South Bruce Peninsula, was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. Park Head Methodist Church was established in 1874 as a Wesleyan Methodist church and was part of a circuit that included Hepworth and Zion Amabel. In 1891, the original log church was replaced with the current building. The church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925 as part of the Hepworth Pastoral Charge. Around 1932, it joined Allenford to form a two-point charge. It is still an active congregation of he Untied Church of Canada.

Allison, Gordon Henry, 1914-1993

  • Person
  • 1914-1993

Gordon Henry Allison (1914-1993), was born in Hamilton, Ontario. He was educated at SS #1 Glanford and Caledonia High School and, thereafter, qualified as a teach at Hamilton Normal School. He taught elementary school in Amherstburg while taking extension course degrees from the University of Toronto and McMaster University. He returned to Hamilton in 1953 to teach English at Delta Secondary School. After retiring from Delta, he turned his energies to searching local archives and records. At his church, Barton Stone United, he compiled extensive archives on church members going back to 1811, assembled pictures and biographies on every minister the church ever had, and researched every person buried in the cemetery. He worked as an editor on several historical publications and compiled histories of dozens of the earliest Mountain families and all of the Ryckman's Corners pioneers. For the last seven years of his life Allison read every edition of The Hamilton Spectator from 1846 to 1893, and transcribed every birth notice, marriage announcement, death account and obituary. He died 3 February 1993 in his Ryckman's Corners home at the age of 79. Allison never married and had no survivors.

Alma Pastoral Charge (Ont.)

  • Corporate body

Alma Pastoral Charge was established in 1925, formerly Methodist; circa 1984 it became Alma-Goldstone Pastoral Charge. Alma Methodist Circuit was established in 1884 and included Creekbank, Bethel, Zion, Parker, Bloomsbury, Mount Hope; it joined the United Church of Canada in 1925. Alma United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. Bethel United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist; it closed in 1947.

Alma Presbyterian Church (Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1840-

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church is located in the village of Alma, Ontario. The church was established in 1840. St. Andrew's did not join the United Church in 1925, and is still an active congregation as part of the Presbyterian Church in Canada.

Almonte Methodist Church (Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1858-1925

Almonte Methodist Church was founded in 1858, in 1925 it joined the United Church.

Almonte Pastoral Charge (Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1952-2012

Almonte Pastoral Charge was established ca. 1952 when the two pastoral charges in Almonte - Bethany Pastoral Charge and Trinity Pastoral Charge amalgmated. Almonte Pastoral Charge included Almonte United Church and Appleton until Appleton closed ca. 1962. It remains a single-point pastoral charge of the United Church of Canada.

Althorpe United Church (Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1927-1979

Althorpe United Church was established in 1927. In 1979 the congregation amalgamated with Bollingbroke to create Althorpe-Bollingbroke.

Alton - Caledon Pastoral Charge (Ont.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1949-2009

Alton - Caledon Pastoral Charge was formed in 1949 when Alton Pastoral Charge and Caledon Pastoral Charge joined to form one pastoral charge. It included Alton, Knox United Church in North Erin (until ca. 1954) and Knox United Church in Caledon. It closed ca. 2009 with the closure of Alton United Church. Knox United Church became a single charge, Calendon Village Pastoral Charge.
Knox United Church, located at 2976 Charleston Sideroad, Caledon was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian. Knox Presbyterian Church in Charleston (now Caledon) was established as a congregation in 1828, on Lot 17 in Caledon (bordering on Hurontario Street. A new building was constructed in 1860 at the corner of McFaul Street and sideroad 15. It joined the United Church of Canada in 1925 and formed a single-point charge until 1949 when it joined Alton Pastoral Charge. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.
Alton United Church, located at 1532 Queen Street East in Caledon, was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian and Methodist. The Methodist Church in Alton was established in 1850 and the first church building was located on Queen Street. A second church was constructed in 1879 farther east on Queen Street. Alton Presbyterian Church was ereceted in 1873. Alton Methodist Church and First Presbyterian Church in Alton united in 1925 and became part of the United Church of Canada. Alton United Church closed ca. 2009.
Knox United Church, North Erin, was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian.

Alton United Church (Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1925-2009

Alton United Church, located at 1532 Queen Street East in Caledon, was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian and Methodist. The Methodist Church in Alton was established in 1850 and the first church building was located on Queen Street. A second church was constructed in 1879 farther east on Queen Street. Alton Presbyterian Church was ereceted in 1873. Alton Methodist Church and First Presbyterian Church in Alton united in 1925 and became part of the United Church of Canada. Alton United Church closed ca. 2009.

Alvinston United Church (Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1926-

Alvinston United Church, also called Hope United Church, was established in 1926.

Results 81 to 100 of 9241