Showing 7 results

People and organizations
Toronto

Birch Cliff United Church (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1951 -2003

Birch Cliff United Church in Scarborough was established ca. 1951, formerly First United Church. First United Church was established in 1925, formerly Birchcliff Union Congregational Church. In 1951 the church was re-named Birch Cliff United Church. In 1998, Scarborough was amalgamated with Metropolitan Toronto to form the present day city of Toronto. The congregation closed on November 30, 2003.

Birchcliff Bluffs United Church (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 2003-

Birchcliff Bluffs United Church in Toronto was established on November 30, 2003 with the amalgamation of Birch Cliff United Church and Birchcliff Heights United Church. It is located at the former Birch Cliff United Church at 33 East Road at Warden Avenue and Kingston Road. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

Birch Cliff United Church in Scarborough was established ca. 1951, formerly First United Church. First United Church was established in 1925, formerly Birchcliff Union Congregational Church. In 1951 the church was re-named Birch Cliff United Church. In 1998, Scarborough was amalgamated with Metropolitan Toronto to form the present day city of Toronto. The congregation closed on November 30, 2003.

Birchcliff Heights United Church in the former city of Scarborough, now Toronto, was established in 1925; formerly Birchcliff Heights Methodist Church, which was established in 1917. It was originally located on Willingdon Avenue at South Woodrow Boulevard and then in 1925 the church re-located two blocks south to Highland Avenue and South Woodrow, just north of Danforth Avenue, about half-way between Birchmount Road and Kennedy Road. Birchcliff Heights United Church amalgamated with Birch Cliff United Church to become Birchcliff Bluffs United Church in 2003.

Centennial-Rouge Pastoral Charge (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1925-2011

Centennial-Rouge Pastoral Charge, Scarborough, was established in 1950 as Centennial-Fairport-Rouge Pastoral Charge, after Centennial United Church in Scarborough and Fairport United Church left Dunbarton-Fairport Pastoral Charge. In the mid-1950s, Fairport returned to a two-point charge with Dunbarton. Centennial-Rouge continued as a two-point charge until Rouge Hill United Church closed in 1971. It was then a single-point charge until it disbanded in 2011. In 1998, Scarborough amalgamated with Metropolitan Toronto to form the city of Toronto.

Centennial-Rouge United Church, located at 6540 Kingston Road in Scarborough, was formed in 1971 with the amalgamation of Centennial United Church in Scarborough and Rouge Hill United Church in Pickering. The church held its final service on June 26, 2011.

Centennial United Church in Scarborough was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. The Centennial Methodist Church in Scarborough was formed in 1883 as a merger of the Wesleyan Methodist Church in the Village of Highland Creek and the Bible Christian Methodist Church in Pickering. The members alternated buildings to host services until a new building was complete in 1891. At this time, the members decided to call the church Centennial Methodist Church. It formed part of the Washington Methodist Circuit until 1925. The Church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925.

Rouge Hill United Church, located in Pickering, was established in 1949. The first Church, however, was not dedicated until February 25, 1962. In 1971, the church amalgamated with Centennial United Church in Scarborough in 1971 to form Centennial-Rouge United Church.

Church of the Master United Church (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1958-2017

Church of the Master United Church was formed in 1958, formally known as Bendale United Church. The church first held services at the Bendale Public School until the winter of 1959 when a portable church was moved to the future site of the new church at 3385 Lawrence Ave East, at the corner of Bellamy Road North and Lawrence Avenue East. In 1998, Scarborough amalgamated with Metropolitan Toronto to become the city of Toronto. The congregation held its last service on June 4, 2017.

Methodist Book and Publishing House

  • Corporate body
  • 1829-1919

The Methodist Book and Publishing House was founded in 1829 in Toronto, Ontario. By the 1890s the Methodist Book and Publishing House was responsible for the Christian Guardian, Sunday-school papers, textbooks, and undertaking jobbing printing. In 1919, Methodist Book and Publishing House became Ryerson Press.

Ryerson Press

  • Corporate body
  • 1919-1970

Ryerson Press, a Canadian book publishing company named after Egerton Ryerson, was founded in 1919. It was previously known as The Methodist Book Room, run by the Methodist Church of Canada. After the merger of the Methodist, Congregation and the Presbyterian Churches in 1925, Ryerson Press was operated by the United Church Publishing House. The publishing company was sold in 1970 to McGraw-Hill.