In 1926 the Presbyterian Missionary and Deaconess Training Home and the Methodist National Training School joined to form the United Church Training School in Toronto. In 1930 the School became affiliated with Emmanuel College, whose staff contributed to the courses of instruction. The School was first located at 135 St. Clair Avenue West, the former Methodist building. In 1942 the Canadian Women's Army Corps took over the St. Clair building and the school moved to 214 St. George Street West; in 1955 a new building was constructed at 77 Charles Street West. The purpose of the school was to train women for work as missionaries for home and foreign fields, Social Service, as congregational workers in pastoral charges, and other non ordained Church vocations. The School was under the direction of a Board of Management which was appointed by the United Church of Canada General Council, and was supervised by a Principal, a position held by Jean E. Macdonald, 1926 1934, Gertrude L. Rutherford, 1934 1946, Jean D.H. Hutchinson, 1946 1953, and K. Harriet Christie, 1953 1970. In 1962 the name was changed to Covenant College, and the constitution amended to permit the admission of male students.
In 1970 Covenant College amalgamated with the Anglican Women's Training College to constitute the Centre for Christian Studies. The two amalgamating bodies continued to operate as separate administrative entities until a complete merger was constituted in 1991. The Centre was located on Charles Street West in Toronto, before moving to Winnipeg in 1998. Its mandate was to act as a theological school of the United and Anglican Churches of Canada which prepared and supported women and men in educational, pastoral and social justice ministry in the church and the world, including providing a diploma program for diaconal ministers in the United Church. The Centre was governed by a volunteer board called the Central Council, which was composed of directors representing the Anglican and United Churches, as well as Friends of the Centre. Principals of the Centre have been Marion Niven 1970- 1982, Gwyn Griffith, 1982-1991, Trudy Lebans, 1991-1995, Wendy Hunt (Coordinator), 1996-1998 and Caryn Douglas, 1998-2008.