Showing 9241 results

People and organizations

Brown Family, 1900-

  • Brown Family
  • Family
  • 1900-

Jennifer Brown (1940-) is the great-granddaughter of Rev. Egerton Ryerson Young and daughter to Harcourt Brown who was the and nephew to E. Ryerson Young. She is a professor emeritus of history at the University of Winnipeg and author. She has done extensive research on her ancestry and indigenous history in Canada and the United States.

Harcourt Brown (1900-1990) was the maternal grandson of Rev. Egerton Ryerson Young and nephew to E. Ryerson Young. He conducted extensive research on his ancestry.

Forster, John Wycliffe Lowes, 1850-1938

  • CA : RPA
  • Person
  • 1850 - 1938

John Wycliffe Lowes (1850-1938) was an artist. Born in Norval, Ontario, he was a Methodist/United layman active in church affairs. As an artist, he was known principally as a portrait painter. He travelled and painted in Europe, did portraits of several Canadian Prime Ministers and Governors-General, leaders of the Methodist Church in Canada and England, the Emperor and Empress of Japan, and many other Canadian leaders.

Centre for Christian Studies (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1926-1991

In 1926 the Presbyterian Missionary and Deaconess Training Home and the Methodist National Training School joined to form the United Church Training School in Toronto. In 1930 the School became affiliated with Emmanuel College, whose staff contributed to the courses of instruction. The School was first located at 135 St. Clair Avenue West, the former Methodist building. In 1942 the Canadian Women's Army Corps took over the St. Clair building and the school moved to 214 St. George Street West; in 1955 a new building was constructed at 77 Charles Street West. The purpose of the school was to train women for work as missionaries for home and foreign fields, Social Service, as congregational workers in pastoral charges, and other non ordained Church vocations. The School was under the direction of a Board of Management which was appointed by the United Church of Canada General Council, and was supervised by a Principal, a position held by Jean E. Macdonald, 1926 1934, Gertrude L. Rutherford, 1934 1946, Jean D.H. Hutchinson, 1946 1953, and K. Harriet Christie, 1953 1970. In 1962 the name was changed to Covenant College, and the constitution amended to permit the admission of male students.

In 1970 Covenant College amalgamated with the Anglican Women's Training College to constitute the Centre for Christian Studies. The two amalgamating bodies continued to operate as separate administrative entities until a complete merger was constituted in 1991. The Centre was located on Charles Street West in Toronto, before moving to Winnipeg in 1998. Its mandate was to act as a theological school of the United and Anglican Churches of Canada which prepared and supported women and men in educational, pastoral and social justice ministry in the church and the world, including providing a diploma program for diaconal ministers in the United Church. The Centre was governed by a volunteer board called the Central Council, which was composed of directors representing the Anglican and United Churches, as well as Friends of the Centre. Principals of the Centre have been Marion Niven 1970- 1982, Gwyn Griffith, 1982-1991, Trudy Lebans, 1991-1995, Wendy Hunt (Coordinator), 1996-1998 and Caryn Douglas, 1998-2008.

Donlands Methodist Church (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1922-1925

Donlands Methodist Church began as a portable mission at Langford and Danforth Avenues in 1914. The church relocated to corner of Donlands Avenue and Strathmore Blvd. in 1923. It joined the United Church of Canada in 1925

Birch Cliff United Church (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1951 -2003

Birch Cliff United Church in Scarborough was established ca. 1951, formerly First United Church. First United Church was established in 1925, formerly Birchcliff Union Congregational Church. In 1951 the church was re-named Birch Cliff United Church. In 1998, Scarborough was amalgamated with Metropolitan Toronto to form the present day city of Toronto. The congregation closed on November 30, 2003.

St. Clair United Church (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1925-1966

St. Clair United Church was Methodist in origin, starting in 1876 when residents of the Bracondale neighbourhood began meeting in various homes. A meeting house was erected in 1878, and in 1890 a new building was dedicated at the corners of St. Clair and Rushton, known at Zion Methodist. A subsequent rebuilding on the same site from 1914-1924, and a new name, St. Clair, was adopted prior to the congregation joining the United Church in 1925. In 1966 when St. Clair and St. Columba United Churches amalgamated It was soon joined by Epworth United Church and Oakwood United to form St. Matthew's United Church.

Oakwood United Church (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1925-1975

Oakwood United Church began life as a mission of the Earlscourt Methodist Church in 1913, and became a separate church in 1917 with a building near the corners of Vaughan Road and Glenora. In 1975 it joined with St. Matthew's as a two-point charge, later being absorbed into the larger congregation.

Northern Congregational Church (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1867-1919

Northern Congregational Church was founded ca. 1867-1868, the congregation moved north, building a new church at the present site in 1913, and offering its first service in the following year. In 1919 it became a Union Church, and in 1925 joined the United Church and assumed the name, Rosedale United.

Yonge Street Methodist Church (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1873-1925

Yonge Street Methodist was located at the corners of Yonge and Summerhill streets in Toronto. It began in 1873 at the corner of Yonge and Marlborough streets in the city. That church was torn down in 1911, and the new building had its first service in the same year. It joined the United Church in 1925.

Elverston Park United Church (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1927-1972

Elverston Park United Church was established in 1927 as a United Church; prior to that, beginning in 1910, the congregation was part of the Church of Christ Disciples. The church was originally located at 176 Maple Leave Drive, which was later sold to the Reformed Church and in 1960, a new church was built at Hopcroft Avenue.

Forest Grove United Church (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1959-

Forest Grove United Church was established on February 4, 1959. The congregation first met at the Elkhorn Drive Public School and a new church building was constructed in 1961 at 43 Forest Grove Drive in the community of Bayview Village in Toronto. In 1998, North York amalgamated with Metropolitan Toronto, to form the city of Toronto. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

Woodgreen United Church (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1925-2004

Woodgreen United Church was established 1925, formerly Methodist. It was located at 875 Queen Street East, the corner of Queen and Logan Ave. It closed on December 31, 2004.

Woodgreen Tabernacle, was established in 1875 in the Queen Street East area of Toronto. It joined the United Church of Canada in 1925.

Humber Valley United Church (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1952-

Humber Valley United Church, located at 76 Anglesey Boulevard, was formed in 1952. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

The Donway Covenant United Church (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1992-

The Donway Covenant United Church was formed in November 1992 with the amalgamation of the two congregations - Donway United Church and Covenant United Church - Oriole. The newly formed congregation used the property of the former Donway United Church. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

Donway United Church was formed in February 1955 to serve the north-west quadrant of Don Mills. Members met at Norman Ingram Memorial School until the church buildings were constructed in 1956 at 230 The Donway West.

Alderwood United Church (Toronto, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1951-

Alderwood United Church was established in 1951. Services were originally held at Sir Adam Beck Public School on Horner Avenue in Etobicoke until 1958 when a new church building, located at 44 Delma Drive, Etobicoke, was built. In 2017, St. Paul's United Church, Long Branch (Etobicoke, Ont.), amalgamated with Alderwood United Church with services held at the Alderwood location. It is still an active congregation.

St. Paul's United Church in Etobicoke was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian. Located at 85 Thirty-First Street, it served the Long Branch community of Toronto. On January 1, 2017, it amalgamated with Alderwood United Church with services at the Alderwood location.

Wesley Methodist Church (Lakefield, Ont.)

  • CAN
  • Corporate body
  • 1840-1925

Wesley Methodist Church, formerly Wesleyan Methodist, was part of the Wesley Methodist Circuit which also included preaching places at Chemong, Lakehurst.

Results 1 to 20 of 9241