Showing 9241 results

People and organizations

Zurbrigg, Carl, 1919-2002

  • Person
  • 1919-2002

Carl Wesley Zurbrigg (1919-2002) was a minister with the United Church of Canada for 56 years. He was born in Listowel, Ontario. From 1937-1940 he worked at the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in Listowel and Auburn-Dungannon. He received a B.A. from Victoria College at the University of Toronto in 1943, and a B.D. from Emmanuel College in 1946. He was ordained by London Conference on May 28, 1946. He was a summer Student in Tribune, Saskatchewan (1941-1942), Madawaska (1943), Ker (1943-1946). He worked as an ordained minister at Jarvie, Alberta (1946-1949), Peace River (1949-1952), Drumheller (1952-1956), Olivet United Church in Hamilton (1956-1968), Dominion-Chalmers, Ottawa (1968-1975), St. James-Simcoe in Erie Presbytery (1975-1984). In administrative capacities, he was Presbytery Chair of Peace River in 1951, Hamilton in 1960 and Erie in 1980. He was the Hamilton Conference Pension Convenor from 1984-1988. He was on the Executive of the Board of World Mission/Division of World Outreach from 1960-1966. Zurbrigg died in 2002.

Zion-Memorial Pastoral Charge (Carleton Place, Ont.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1966-

Carleton Place: Zion Memorial Pastoral Charge was formed in 1966 with the amalgamation of Carleton Place: Memorial Park Pastoral Charge and Carleton Place: Zion Pastoral Charge. It included Zion-Memorial, Boyd's and Franktown until May 1, 193 when Franktown and Boyd's separated to form a separate charge. It is still an active charge of the United Church of Canada.
Zion United Church was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian; it amalgamated ca. 1966 with Memorial Park United Church in Carleton Place to form Zion Memorial United Church.
Memorial Park United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist; it amalgamated ca. 1966 with Zion United Church in Carleton Place to form Zion Memorial United Church.

Zion United Church (Ostrander, Ont.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-1995

Zion United Church in Ostrander, located at lot 7, concession 8, was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. The congregation started as a Bible Christian Church ca. 1860. A church building was constructed ca. 1861 on now Highway 19. In 1884, it became Zion Methodist Church following the union of Methodist Churches in Canada. In 1900, the church was moved to Concession 8. It joined the United Church of Canada in 1925 and formed part of Springford Pastoral Charge until ca. 1930. It was then associated with St. Paul's United Church in Tillsonburg until ca. 1961 when it became a single-point charge. In 1995 it amalgamated with Avondale United Church in Tillsonburg.

Zion United Church (Mitchell's Corners, Ont.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-2010

Zion United Church in Mitchell's Corner, was established in 1925 and formed past of Hampton Pastoral Charge with Hampton and Eldad until July 1, 1987 when it separated to form a single-point charge. It closed on December 29, 2010.

Zion United Church (Kitchener, Ont.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1968-2015

Zion United Church was formed in 1968 when the Zion Evangelical United Brethren Church joined the United Church of Canada. Zion Church, Kitchener was established in the 1830s, with a congregation organized in 1839, and the denomination's first Canadian church erected in 1841. It was known as the mother church of the denomination in Canada, and several of the other Kitchener churches were its missionary offspring. Zion United Church closed in 2015.

Zion United Church (Kingston, Ont.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-

Zion United Church, located at 106 Pine Street in Kingston, was established in 1925 when Zion Presbyterian Church in Kingston joined the United Church of Canada. Zion Presbyterian Church was established in 1891. It is an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

Zion United Church (Hamilton, Ont.)

  • Corporate body

Zion United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist; it was originally known as Zion Tabernacle United Church. Zion Tabernacle Methodist Church was established ca. 1855; it joined the United Church in 1925.

Zion United Church (Drummond Township, Ont.)

  • Corporate body

Zion United Church in Drummond Township was established in 1925; formerly Methodist; originally part of the Montague Pastoral Charge, it became part of Beckwith-Drummond Pastoral Charge ca. 1938; it closed ca. 1953.

Results 1 to 20 of 9241