Archer Hospital was located in Lamont, Alberta. In 1903, Dr. Albert Ernest Archer (1878-1949), a medical missionary with the Methodist Church of Canada arrived in Star, Alberta to become a physician to the local Ukrainian community. In 1906, the railway was extended to Lamont and The Archers moved there. The Archers began to see patients in their home, and eventually, persuaded the local Methodist Church board to sponsor a hospital. The Lamont Public Hospital opened on September 12, 1912. It was managed by the Methodist Church, and after 1925, The United Church of Canada. Dr. Archer was the first Medical Superintendent and remained in that position for 37 years. A nursing school operated there from 1912-1972. In 1950 the hospital was renamed Archer Memorial Hospital as a dedication to its founder. In 1992 all the facilities on campus merged to form the Lamont Healthcare Centre.
Thomas Albert Moore (1860-1940) was a Methodist/United Church minister and administrator and Moderator of the United Church of Canada. He was born in Acton, Ontario. He studied at McGill University and Wesleyan College, Montreal, was ordained in 1884, and served Methodist circuits in Ontario. He was Secretary of the Lord's Day Alliance of Ontario, 1903-1906; Secretary of the Methodist General Conference, 1906-1925; Secretary of the Methodist Board of Temperance and Moral Reform/Evangelism and Social Service, 1910-1925; Secretary of the General Council of the United Church, 1925-1936; and Moderator of the United Church, 1932-1934. He also served in several other positions, including committees relating to church union (1925).
Arthur Bruce Barbour Moore (1906-2004) was born in Keswick Ridge, New Brunswick. He received his early education in New Brunswick and Quebec and graduated from McGill in 1927 with honours in English and History. In 1930, he graduated from United Theological College in Montreal with his Bachelor of Divinity. Following graduation, he spent seven years as a minister in Quebec (Amherst Park United Church, Howick United Church) and four years as a minister of College Hill Church in Easton, Pennsylvania. From 1940-1942 he supplied at Parkdale United Church in Ottawa, then served at Westminster United Church in Saskatoon until 1946 when he was appointed Principal of St. Andrew’s college. He received a Doctor of Divinity in 1947, and was elected President of the Saskatchewan Conference of The United Church of Canada in 1949. In 1950 he was appointed President and Vice-Chancellor of Victoria University. In 1952 he received his Doctor of Laws from the University of Saskatchewan and a Doctor of Divinity from Trinity College in Toronto. From 1954-1958 he was Chairman of the Board of Overseas Missions of the United Church. In 1969, he was appointed President of the Canadian Council of Churches. From 1971-1972 he served as Moderator of the United Church. From 1973-1974 he served as an Interim Minister at St. Andrews Kirk in Nassau, Bahamas. In 1976 he served as Interim General Secretary of the Canadian Council of Churches and was also named to the Order of Canada. From 1977-1980 he served as Chancellor of the University of Toronto. Moore died in 2004. He was married to Margaret Moore who died in 2004.
Robert Frederick ("Bob") Smith was born in Montreal in 1934. After receiving his B.A. from the University of Alberta in 1956, he earned a diploma in Theology at St. Stephen’s College (1958), a B.D. from the University of Alberta (1964), and a Th.D. at Boston University School of Theology (1973). He was ordained by the Alberta Conference of the United Church in 1958, and married Margaret Ellen Maguire that year. After ordination, he served in pastoral ministry at St. Luke's, Fort St. John, British Columbia (1958-1961); Trinity, Edmonton (1961-1965); Memorial Congregational Church of Atlantic, Quincy, Massachusetts (1965-1968); Richmond Hill (1968-1974); Eglinton, Toronto (1974-1982); Shaughnessy Heights, Vancouver (1982-1993); and First, Vancouver (1993-1998).
Throughout his ministry, Smith has served on numerous committees, including the Doctrinal Commission; General Commission on Church Union; Committee on Union and Joint Mission; Co-Chair of Roman Catholic-United Church Dialogue; the Committee on Theology and Faith; the Inter-Church Inter-Faith Committee, and the Division of Mission in Canada's Advisory Group on Residential Schools.
Smith has also served as head of several church courts: as chair of York Presbytery (1972-1974) and Toronto Area Presbytery (1977-1979); President of Toronto Conference (1981-1982); and as Moderator of the United Church of Canada (1984-1986). As Moderator, he made the Apology to First Nations Peoples on behalf of the Church in 1986.
Mardi Tindal, a layperson, was an administrator and a Moderator of The United Church of Canada (2009-2012). She was born in 1952 and grew up in Victoria Square, Ontario (now part of Markham). She graduated from York University with a B.A. psychology and holds an M.A. in educational psychology from the University of Toronto. She worked as a consultant on leadership and program development and Coordinator of recreational ministries and youth resources with the Division of Mission in Canada at the General Council Office. She also served as Communication and Stewardship officer at Hamilton Conference, director of Camp Big Canoe and was executive director of Five Oaks Centre before becoming Moderator. From the 1980s to the 1990 she was co-host, producer and writer of Spirit Connection. Mardi Tindal served as Moderator from 2009-2012. She is married to Douglas Tindal.
Jesse H. Arnup, (1881-1965) was a minister and Moderator of the United Church of Canada. He was born in Norfolk County, Ontario in 1881. He graduated from Victoria College in 1909 and received his D.D. from Wesley College, Winnipeg, in 1924. From 1910 to 1912 he was Secretary of the Layman's Missionary Movement of the Methodist Church, Assistant Secretary of Overseas Missions from 1913 to 1925, and Secretary of United Church of Canada Foreign Missions from 1925 to 1952. He served as Moderator from 1944 to 1946.
George Milledge Tuttle (1915-) was a United Church minister, administrator and Moderator. He was born at Medicine Hat, Alberta, the son of Methodist minister Aubrey Stephen Tuttle. He obtained a doctorate in theology from Victoria University. He had several mission fields, a pastorate in Sangudo, Alberta and a term as assistant minister in Toronto. As well, he served as National Director of Youth Work, Professor at Union College, Vancouver, 1951-1966, and Principal of St. Stephen's College, Edmonton, 1966-1979. He was President of British Columbia Conference in 1963, on the Executive of General Council in 1974 and served as Moderator from 1977 to his retirement in 1980.
Ernest Edgar Long (1901-1985) was a United Church Minister and the longest serving Secretary of General Council. He was born in Brighton England to Harry Oliver Long and Ellen Kate Pierce and raised in Woodstock, ON. He was inspired at a young age to become a minister by his missionary sister, and was received as a probationer for Methodist Ministry in 1916 by Woodstock District and Hamilton Conference. He served at the following probationary charges in the U.S.A. and Canada: Drumo-Richwood of Woodstock District, Shaunayon Presbytery Saskatchewan, Chetwynd Charge Burk’s Falls and East Dorset, Vermont. He earned his B.A. from Victoria College and Master of Divinity from Union Theological Seminary in 1927. While at Union Theological School he served as Boys’ Work Secretary and Youth Leader at Peoples’ Home Church and Settlement, East 11th St. N.Y.C. (Methodist) and Assistant Director of Christian Education at West Side Presbyterian Church, Ridgewood, N.J.. During this time he also completed most credits for M.A. at Teacher’s College, Columbia University, N.Y.. He was ordained in 1926 by the London Conference and served at the following pastorates: Avondale United Church, Collier Street United Church, Trinity United Church Barrie, Fairmount-St. Giles Quebec and Humbercrest United Church. In 1931 he married Dr. Dorothy Elizabeth Toye and had two children Peter bad Elizabeth. While serving as a minister he also held various responsibilities in church courts from 1939 to 1954. With his expertise in church government he become Secretary of the General Council in 1955 and served for seventeen years. While Secretary he did a lot of ecumenical work and most notably was a member of the Central Committee of the World Council of Churches.
Moderator of the United Church of Canada, 1952-1954
Lily Howie Hockin (1880-1974) was a missionary in Kiating, China when her daughter, Katharine, was born there in 1910. Following the death of her husband (1912), Lily Hockin returned to Canada, and was subsequently appointed to China under the auspices of the Woman's Missionary Society of the Methodist Church of Canada (1913). She remained there until 1927 when illness forced her return to Canada. In 1933 she went for a third time to China, remaining until 1946. She then moved to New York with her daughter who was studying at Columbia University. In 1948 Katharine Hockin returned to China as a missionary, and Lily Hockin moved to Vancouver to live with her mother and sisters. In 1960 she moved to Toronto to live with her daughter Katharine, remaining there until her death.
Richard Orlando Jolliffe (1874-1959) was a Methodist/United Church missionary to China in the first half of the twentieth century. Richard Jolliffe was born in Bruce County, Ontario, in 1874. He studied at Victoria University, and served briefly in Alberta for the Methodist Home Missions Board, 1903-1904. He was appointed to the West China Mission in 1904. He married Lena Dunfield, a Woman's Missionary Society missionary in China, in 1905. Together they pioneered missions in the salt wells area of Tzeliutsing. In 1922, Richard Jolliffe was appointed to work for the Mission Press in Chengtu. He and his wife produced a large volume of Christian literature and the monthly magazine Christian Hope. They retired in 1945 to Rockwood, Ontario. Richard Jolliffe died in 1959, Lena Jolliffe in 1976.
Lena M. Dunfield, later Jolliffe (1879-1974) was a missionary to China with the Women's Missionary Society of the Methodist Church of Canada. She married Richard Orlando Jolliffe in 1905, and together they pioneered missions in the salt wells area of Tzeliutsing. They also produced a large volume of Christian literature and the monthly magazine, Christian Hope. They retired in 1945 to Rockwood, Ontario.
Hugh Alexander McLeod (1894-1992) was a Presbyterian/United Church minister and Moderator of the United Church. He was born in Owen Sound, Ontario. Originally planning to pursue a career in law, he worked his way through university as a helmsman on the Great Lakes' steamboats. He served as a quartermaster aboard barges crossing the English Channel with ammunition during World War I. In 1921, he married Doreen Taggart. He was ordained a Presbyterian minister in Luseland, Saskatchewan, in 1920 and served various charges in Western Canada. In 1960, he was elected Moderator of the United Church.
Harold Tilney Hill Steed (1918-2012) was a Missionary in Angola for 10 years, along with his wife Lilian Steed.
Walter Edwin Pescott (1860-1953) was a Methodist/United Church minister. Born in the Channel Islands in 1860, he came to Canada in 1880, and studied at Victoria University. He was ordained into the Methodist Church in 1891. Mabel Hardy and Walter Edwin Pescott were married in 1892. As Walter Pescott served as a Methodist and then a United Church minister, the couple served various charges in Ontario: Burlington Plains, Port Colborne, Hamilton, Simcoe, Galt, Toronto, Windsor, London, Kitchener and Orillia, as well as in Winnipeg and Vancouver. They had one daughter, Aleda, born in 1918. After his retirement, Pescott represented the Ontario Temperance Federation.
Moderator of the United Church of Canada, 1928-1930
In the early 1860s, Methodist and Presbyterian ministers who were stationed in New Westminster considered the Richmond area to be part of their parish. Methodist missionaries were instrumental in having a small church built on the mainland side of the North Arm of the Fraser River around 1870. This little church became the preaching centre for several Christian denominations. By mid-1887, a small church was built at London's Landing and, like the original church on the North Arm, it became a Union Church, used by all Christian denominations. Methodist services continued in the London's Landing Church until the Steveston Methodist Church was built in 1894. The Presbyterians used the London's Landing Church until 1906 when the South Arm Presbyterian Church was built. The Presbyterians also held services in the Steveston area, beginning around 1890. These services were discontinued around 1912, and some families from Steveston attended the South Arm Church. In 1917 the Presbyterians decided to resume their work at Steveston and acquired an old school building.
At the time of church union in 1925, the Presbyterian and Methodist churches united to form Steveston United Church, using the former Methodist building for all services, including Sunday school. From 1925 until 1962, Steveston United Church was part of the South Arm-Steveston Pastoral Charge, after which they became separate single-point charges. Steveston United amalgamated with the neighbouring Japanese United Church in 1953, and the combined congregation assumed the name Steveston United Church. The combined congregation rehabilitated the former Japanese United property in 1954; it was used for kindergarten, Sunday school and mid-week activities. When the Steveston Community Centre was built two years later, community demand for use of the church hall greatly diminished, and the old mission church was demolished. That property was leased as a parking lot and finally sold in 1971. In 1978, the congregation built and dedicated a new church building to replace its 1894 structure.
Canadian Memorial Chapel was the result of an amalgamation of Sixth Avenue Methodist Church and Fourteenth Avenue Methodist Church. It became known as Canadian Memorial United Church after Church Union in 1925.
(中文版在下面) (Chinese version below) The Chinese United Church in Vancouver had its roots in the Methodist Church, which joined The United Church of Canada in 1925. Shortly afterward, and to better serve the needs of the Chinese community (which had begun to shift eastward), the congregation relocated from Beatty Street to the corner of Pender Street and Dunlevy Avenue. The new church building and Christian Education Centre were dedicated on December 3, 1929. For nearly 70 years, the mission relied on the Board of Home Missions and the Woman's Missionary Society for financial support and leadership, and was known as the Chinese Mission, United Church of Canada. As it worked toward full self-support, which it achieved in 1955, it became known as the Chinese United Church. The congregation officially amalgamated with Chown United Church on April 14, 1992, becoming Chown Memorial and Chinese United Church, located at 3519 Cambie Street.
温哥华华人协和教会起源于卫理公会。 此会于 1925 年加入加拿大协和教会。不久之后，为了更好地服务华人社区（已经开始向东转移）的需要，教会会址从Beatty Street 搬到了 Pender Street 和 Dunlevy Avenue 的拐角处。 1929 年 12 月 3 日，新教堂和基督教教育中心落成典礼。 约70年间，该传道部的运行仰仗家庭宣教委员会和妇女布道会的财政支持和引领，并被称为加拿大协和教会华人宣教会。该教会努力实现完全自给自足，并于1955年成功实现这一目标，自此被称为华人协和教会。1992年4月14日，华人协和教会与Chown United Church正式合并，成为周氏纪念堂和华人协和教会 [Chown Memorial and Chinese United Church]，其地址位于3519 Cambie Street。
As early as 1910, a small group of Methodists and Presbyterians gathered for worship at the Wilson Road (Kerrisdale) School prior to the establishment of Kerrisdale Methodist Church. Kerrisdale Methodist Church opened on November 26, 1911 in a small building on the north-east corner of 45th Avenue and Yew Street, Vancouver. In 1925, Kerrisdale Methodist Church came into union, and changed its name to Ryerson United Church. Ryerson United required a larger church building, and the present building was dedicated on March 25th, 1928. A Christian Education Centre in the Ryerson Memorial Centre was built and dedicated in March of 1950. The Ryerson congregation amalgamated with Dunbar Heights United Church to form Dunbar Ryerson United Church on January 1, 2017 and changed its name to Pacific Spirit United Church the following year.
The Esquimalt United Church was founded on May 31st, 1911 and was called Esquimalt Naval and Military Methodist Church. It served the community in the area of District of Esquimalt and Victoria West. Rev. Thomas Keyworth was appointed as the first Minister of the Methodist Church. The first worship services were held in what was known as Kent's Hall on Sunday, June 11, 1911. At that time, Sunday School was formed by the Ladies Aid Society. Sunday School was being held at the Methodist Soldiers Home of that time. On September 11, 1913, a new building located on the corner of Admirals Road and Lyall Street was opened.
Mary Violet Deeprose was born in Stockdale, Ontario on February 11, 1903. She attended the United Church Training School in Toronto, 1938-1940, and was designated a deaconess by Alberta Conference, August 18, 1941. She was appointed by the Woman’s Missionary Society to the Crosby Girls’ Home in Lax Kw’alaams (then known as Port Simpson), 1940-1944. She left the work due to a family illness. From 1946-1949, she was employed as superintendent of the Mountview Social Service Home (Calgary). She taught in the public school system in Alberta from 1953 until her retirement in 1962. Violet Deeprose died at Drumheller, Alberta on February 22, 1991.
As far back as the 1870s, ministers of the Presbyterian and Methodist churches travelled through Williams Lake and preached. Regular work was not established until 1920, initially under the leadership of Rev. J.H. White. The Rev. Dr. A.D. MacKinnon arrived in the fall of 1921 for a long-term ministry for the Presbyterian Church, serving the people of Williams Lake and the vast surrounding area until 1941. St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church and manse were built on Oliver Street, Williams Lake, and was officially dedicated in 1922. During church union in 1925, the congregation joined The United Church of Canada and its name changed to St. Andrew’s United Church.
In 1953, St. Andrew’s sold its original buildings and moved to the corner of Cameron Street and Third Avenue. A hall, later to be named MacKinnon Memorial Hall, was built. The congregation intended that a sanctuary would also be erected, but this did not materialize, so the hall served as a sanctuary and Christian Education centre. A manse was built beside the hall, and served the ministry staff until it was sold in 1974 to give the minister opportunity to choose suitable housing.
On April 9, 1980, a fire destroyed MacKinnon Memorial Hall. St. Andrew’s worshiped in the Anglican church and then in local school gyms. St. Andrew’s sold the Cameron Street lot in 1981 and purchased a new site in the 600 block of Midnight Drive from B.C. Rail. A new structure, 1000 Huckvale Place, was completed in July 1982.
St. Paul's United Church was located in Kelowna and part of Kamloops-Okanagan Presbytery. It begun by First United Church in 1947 under the name Mission Road United Church. On the occasion of building and dedicating a new church in 1958, the congregation was renamed St. Paul's. In 1961, the congregation became a separate pastoral charge from First United Church. On July 1, 2021, the congregation amalgamated with Rutland United and First United to form Central Okanagan United Church.
St. Andrew's United Church in Fort Langley (in Langley District Municipality) which came into being with church union in 1925 was formerly, St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. Regular Presbyterian services were first held at Fort Langley in a school house from 1872 until 1885 when St. Andrew's church was built. St. Andrew's was part of the larger Langley field which included Langley Prairie, Murrayville, Glen Valley and other points. In 1921 the field was divided into two fields centred at Fort Langley and Murrayville. The new Fort Langley charge included West Langley. After church union in 1925 St. Andrew's United was the centre of or associated with a number of pastoral charges: Fort Langley Pastoral Charge, which included Sperling, Glen Valley and County Line, from 1925 to 1953; Fort Langley-Milner Pastoral Charge, which included Milner, Sperling and Willoughby, from 1953 to 1962; Fort Langley Pastoral Charge, which included Sperling United and West Langley Memorial United, from 1962 to 1969; Fort Langley-Port Kells Pastoral Charge from 1969 to 1971; Fort Langley-Murrayville Pastoral Charge from 1971 to 1980, which included Sharon United Church in Murrayville and Milner United Church; and the Fort Langley-Milner Pastoral Charge since 1980 when Sharon became a separate charge. On July 1, 1991, the Milner United Church congregation was amalgamated with the St. Andrew's United Church congregation. The Milner property was sold, and the new one-point Pastoral Charge was named St Andrew's -Fort Langley Pastoral Charge, part of Fraser Presbytery. In 2012 St. Andrew's United Church amalgamated with Jubilee United, Langley United, and Sharon United to form the United Churches of Langley.
Moderator of the United Church of Canada, 1932-1934
The Hafford Hospital was first built around 1922, by the Missionary Society of the Methodist Church of Canada. The first superintendent was the Rev. G. Dorey, who would later become Moderator of the United Church of Canada (successor to the Methodist Church in Canada). Dr. S.M. Scott was the first doctor to serve the hospital, followed by Dr. Rose, who was later joined by Dr. Paulson. The Hafford Hospital Ladies Aid Society, formed 1924, was involved in raising money to support hospital activities. After financial difficulties in the 1930s, the hospital was eventually closed, in 1941, due to lack of funds. In 1946, the Municipality of Redberry and the Village of Hafford bought the building and its equipment from the Missionary Society, then re-opened it as the Hafford Union Hospital.
The Battle River Hospital was located in Manning, Alberta. When the Peace River Country of northern Alberta was opened for settlement, the Woman's Missionary Society (WMS) of the Presbyterian Church in Canada established a small hospital on the Battle River mid-way between the villages of Notikewin and North Star. It was located 65 miles from the railway in an area inhabited by about 5,000 people most of whom had moved north from dried-out sections of Alberta and Saskatchewan. The hospital was opened in September, 1937 by the WMS of The United Church of Canada with accommodation for 8 patients, and with a nurse’s residence on the second floor. When it opened Dr. Doidge was the doctor, Miss, M.E. McMurray the matron, and Miss Frances M. Clarkson the staff nurse. Changes in staff were frequent, because of the loneliness of the situation of the hospital. Before long additions were made, the hospital was enlarged to accommodate 17 patients; a new nurses residence was opened in 1946 and a doctor’s residence in 1948. At first the address of the hospital was Grmishaw, the railway station 65 miles away, but as the railway was extended north and roads opened a town grew up in the hospital area. This town was named Manning after the premier of Alberta. With the growth of the town the area could no longer be considered a pioneer community. The municipality became interested in operating its own hospital, so after considerable negotiation the WMS sold the Battle River hospital to the town in 1954.
Ralph Collins was born in England, May 8 1892 and died September 30, 1970. He arrived in Canada at age 17 and received his B.A. from McGill in 1923 and his B.D. in 1925 from Congregational College. He would receive an honorary D.D. from the United Theological College in Montreal in 1946. Dr. Collins was ordained in 1925 and arrived in Angola as a missionary in 1926 to take over from Dr. W.H. Sanders. In 1929 he married Miss Jean Gurd in Montreal and she worked alongside him in Angola. They served in Camundongo until 1947 when they were appointed to organize and direct Emmanuel Seminary in Dondi. Dr. Collins returned from Angola in 1958 and held various short positions as Retired Supply in Ottawa including Wesley, Permbroke, Larder Lake, Cardinal, South Mountain, Vars-Nava, Parkdale and Knox United.
Dr. Percy C. Leslie (1871-1965) was a medical missionary to China with The Presbyterian Church in Canada. He was born in 1871 in Montreal, Quebec. He graduated in Medicine at McGill University in 1896, and did post-graduate work in Scotland until 1901. He was appointed to North Honan, China in May, 1897 and remained there until he resigned in 1926. He died in 1965. He was married to Isabel Ogilvy.
Moderator of the United Church of Canada, 2018 to 2022.
Edward Wilson Wallace (1880-1941) was a missionary to China, and Chancellor and President of Victoria University. The son of Francis Huston Wallace, Edward Wilson Wallace was born in Cobourg, Ontario, 1880, studied at Victoria University and Columbia University, and was appointed by the Methodist Church to the China mission field in 1906. He managed mission schools, taught at West China Union University, and was appointed General Secretary of the West China Educational Union in 1912 and of the China Church Educational Association in 1921. He served as Chancellor and President of Victoria University from 1929 until his death in 1941.
Peninsula United Church was formed in 2017 when three congregations in South Surrey and White Rock (Crescent, First, and Sunnyside United Churches) joined together to form one united congregation. It was a member of Fraser Presbytery until presbyteries were dissolved in 2019.
Central Okanagan United Church was formed July 1, 2021 through the amalgamation of three congregations: First United in downtown Kelowna, St. Paul's, and Rutland.
Rev. Selby Jefferson (1866-1946) was born at Gosforth, Newcastle-on-Tyne, England on the 12th of November, 1866. As a young gentleman he became involved with the Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School, and eventually became a local preacher. In 1890 he was received into the ministry of The Methodist Church of Canada in the Newfoundland Conference where he spent 9 years. Two of those years were spent on the northernmost mission of Hamilton Inlet in Labrador. Following this, he was transferred to Nova Scotia Conference where from 1902-1905 he was at a congregation in Louisburg, from 1905-1908 he was at Grafton Street, and from 1908-1910 served the Wesley Church in Hamilton, Bermuda. At Union, Jefferson became a minister with the United Church of Canada. The later years of his active ministry were spent in London Conference, from 1925-1926 at Victoria Street U.C. in Goderich, from 1927-1929 at Brownsville, then 1930 in Salford. In 1931 he was transferred at Superannuation to Toronto Conference for retirement and he died in 1946.
Dr. Henry Warren Treffry (1891-1978) was born in Howard City, Michigan. He was ordained in The United Church of Canada by Saskatchewan Conference in 1927. During his time as minister he served in many places throughout Saskatchewan: Turtleford (1927), Shamrock (1928-1929), Admiral-Cadillac (1930-1933), Griffin (1934-1935), Shortoaks (1936-1937), Tantallon (1938-1940) and in Ontario: Hilton (1942-1944), Thorndale (1945-1947), Cairngerm (1948-1955), Oakdale (1956-1960), Strathroy (1961-1967), London (1968-1976). He died in May, 1978.
Rev. James Little (1875-1935) was a minister with The Presbyterian Church in Canada, then after 1925, The United Church of Canada. He was born in Hamilton, Ontario. He received a B.A. from the University of Toronto in 1901, then attended Knox College from 1901-1904. He was ordained in the Presbytery of Toronto in 1905. He worked at Brampton Presbyterian Church (1905-1910), St. Pauls Presbyterian Church, Ottawa (1910-1917), Westminster Church, Toronto (1917-1935). He received a D.D. from Knox College in 1923. He died in June, 1935.
Rev. Dr. John Thomas Stephens (1883-1957) was a minister with the Methodist Church (Canada), then the United Church of Canada) who spent most of his career working with home missions. After union, he worked in Saskatchewan: Biggar (1925), Calder (Ukrainian, 1926-1930), Regina (Settlement House, 1931-1933), and Alberta: Edmonton (All Peoples Mission, 1934-1951), he was retired ministry in Edmonton (1952), North Burnaby (1953-1955), and White Rock (1956-1957). He was one of the organizational leaders of All People's Mission in Edmonton, and was involved with the opening of the Bissell Institute. He died in August, 1957.
Arthur Hockin, Jr (1879-1912) was a missionary to China. He was the son of Arthur Hockin (1851-1932), a Methodist minister in Nova Scotia. He and his wife Lily were living in China when he contacted and succumed to typhus in 1912, two years after the birth of their only child, Katharine Hockin.
Annie Helen Hale (d. 1982) trained for 3 years at the City Hospital in Hamilton. She had post-graduate work at the Presbyterian Hospital in Newark, New York and then set sail for China as a missionary. En route to China, she met fellow missionary Frederick John Reed and they married in November, 1921. They returned home from 1926-1929 due to growing agitations in China. In 1929 they returned and went to Kiating, then were transferred to Tzeliutsing in 1934 where they worked at the Mission Middle Schools and Nurses Training School until 1948. They returned to Canada in 1949 and Anne died in 1982. The children of Frederick and Annie were Dorothy, Newton, Donald, Elinor May and Malcolm. All of the children were born in China, some attending the Canadian School for Missionaries Children in Chengdu, and some Llewellyn Hall (Home for Missionaries Children) in Oshawa, ON.
The Seniors Working Group (SWG) originated in 2011 with representatives from the pastoral committees of five United Church congregations on the west side of Vancouver: Dunbar Heights, Knox, Trinity, West Point Grey, University Hill. The working group formed partly in response to a growing gap in community services for seniors west of Granville Street. Within a few years, it grew to encompass further westside congregations, including Anglican parishes.
The SWG's main purpose and vision was to help seniors/elders age with vitality and expanded options, working within church congregations and the wider community. It sponsored pastoral care training events; held public forums on a variety of topics; and undertook networking and collaboration with other community groups with similar aims. Congregational pastoral care committees within the SWG membership supported an array of activities, including prayer groups, transportation, education/communications, food support and programs, visitation, and card and flower ministries.
Collaborative work with the nascent Westside Seniors Hub – which operated out of Kitsilano Neighbourhood House – began in 2015. The Westside Seniors Hub gradually assumed the community-wide programming of the SWG, and the SWG dissolved after transferring its funds to that organization on May 27, 2022.
The Rev. Charles Dod Baldwin, D.D., was a Methodist Church minister. He was born on July 31, 1855 in Youghal, County Cork, Ireland to Robert and Mary Baldwin. He attended school at Lismore College in County Waterford before moving to Dublin. There, while working for a hardware company, he preached and taught Sunday school at the Charleston Road Methodist Church and was involved with the Y.M.C.A.
He moved to Canada in August 1882 and enrolled in the Wesleyan Theological College, Montreal, where he won prizes in theology and the natural sciences. He was ordained in 1887. His time in the ministry was split between the Montreal and Ontario Conferences: Dunham (1882, 1895-1896), Levis and Bourg Louis (1883), Island Brook (1884), Montreal (1885-1886), Hendersonville (1887-1888), Lawrenceville (1889-1891), Cookshire (1893-1894), Lacolle (1897-1899), North Augusta (1901-1902), Mallorytown (1902-1095), Metcalfe (1905-1907), Westmeath (1907-1909), Ashton (1909-1911), St. Paul, Montreal (1911-1913), Westport (1913-1916), Addison (1916-1918), Aultsville (1918-1921), and Sharbot Lake (1921-1922). He retired from the ministry to Kingston in 1922, where he became connected to Sydenham Street United Church. Baldwin was also involved in the governance of the Montreal Conference. He held numerous positions, including: journal secretary (1892-1903, 1919-1921), assistant secretary (1905), secretary (1906, 1920-1921), General Conference statistician (1913-1918), and was elected President of the Montreal Conference in 1922.
Baldwin was known to be proficient in pen and ink illuminations. He married Catherine Elizabeth Teskey in 1889; she predeceased him in February 1947. Baldwin died on January 29, 1949 at the age of 94.
Peter Wyatt (1943-) is a minister, and former General Council Office staff with The United Church of Canada. He was born in Stratford, Ontario. He received his B.A. in English from Victoria College at the University of Toronto in 1966, his M. Div from Union Theological Seminary (New York) in 1969, and his Th.D. from Victoria University (Toronto School of Theology) in 1983. From 1995-2001 he was the General Secretary, Theology, Faith and Ecumenism at the United Church of Canada General Council office. Following that, from 2001-2008, he was Principal of Emmanuel College, and in 2012 Acting Executive Secretary of Toronto Conference. His pastoral ministry includes a summer mission field at Belmont Lakes Pastoral Charge (1967), Field Education at Riverside Church and East Northport Methodist Church, Long Island (1966-1969), Minister at St. Paul's Pastoral Charge (Alberta, 1969-1974), Whitevale Pastoral Charge (Toronto, 1974-1977), Port Hope United Church (Port Hope, 1977-1984), Trinity-St. Paul's Church (Toronto, 1989-1995), Supply at St. Andrew's U.C. (Brantford, 2009-2010), Knox United (Agincourt, 2011), Rosedale United (Toronto, 2012), Burk's Falls Pastoral Charge (2013-2014), Lynn Valley U.C. (Vancouver, 2015), Trinity St. Paul's (Toronto, 2017), and Trinity United Church (Huntsville, 2020-2021). He has taught various courses in theology at Emmanuel College and other institutions, published many articles, and two books entitled "Jesus Christ and Creation in the Theology of John Calvin" (1996) and "The Page That Fell Out of My Bible ; Sermons Preached at Trinity St-Paul's United Church, 1990-95" (1995). He married Joan (Parsons) Wyatt in 1965 who has taught courses alongside him, co-authored articles and shared ministry.
(日本語版は以下に記載) (Japanese version below)
The Japanese Methodist mission in Kelowna began in 1920 after Rev. Yoshimitsu Akagawa, a minister in Vancouver, made a strong recommendation for a need to serve the approximately 500 Japanese Canadian orchard farmers. The congregation built it first church on Harvey Avenue in 1922, and it served the broader population as a "Japanese Community Centre." With church union in 1925, the congregation became a United Church (essentially a name change). The Japanese Canadian population in the Kelowna area subsequently grew, particularly during the Second World War era. In 1965, a new church building on Highway 97 North was completed. It was sold in 1989, but the congregation continued to meet at First United Church (Kelowna). Over the decades, the Okanagan Japanese Pastoral Charge has included several additional preaching points: Greenwood, Midway, Nakusp, New Denver, Slocan, Okanagan Centre, Summerland, Vernon, and Westbank (West Kelowna). It was part of Kamloops-Okanagan Presbytery until presbyteries ended in 2019.
ケロナ市 (英: Kelowna) に於ける日本を対象としたメソジストミッションはバンクーバー市に在住していた赤川美盈(よしみつ)牧師の提言により1920年に開始した。当時ケロナ市は凡そ500人の日系カナダ人の果樹園農家が在住していた。最初の教会堂は1922年にハーヴィーアベニュー(英:Harvey Avenue)に建設され、日系人コミュニティの集会所として活用された。第二次世界大戦時におけるケロナ市周辺の日系カナダ人の増加に伴い、1965年に97号線高速道路北(英:Highway 97 North)に新たな教会堂が建設された。教会堂は1989年に売却されたが会衆は第一合同教会(英:First United Church)で続行された。一時期には以下の市村もオカナガン日本人教会の司牧責任地域として制定されていた:グリーンウッド(英:Greenwood)、ミッドウェイ(英:Midway)、ナカスプ(英:Nakusp)、ニューデンバー(英:New Denver)、スローカン(英:Slocan)、オカナガンセンター(英:Okanagan Centre)、サマーランド(英:Summerland)、バーノン(英:Vernon)、ウエストバンク(西ケロナ)(英:Westbank (West Kelowna))。2019年に解散されたカムループス・オカナガン部会 (英: Kamloops-Okanagan) の一員でもあった。
Ethel Susan McEachran was a Presbyterian, and later United Church, missionary and educator. She was born on September 13, 1881 in York County to Colin and Martha (née Proctor) McEachran. She attended the London Normal School and taught for nine years. While the exact dates are unknown, records indicate McEachran also attended the Ontario College of Education and the Presbyterian Missionary and Deaconess Training Home.
In 1913, McEachran was appointed by the Presbyterian Church in Canada's Foreign Mission Committee, Western Section to Korea. From 1913-1915 she was stationed in Sŏngjin (now Kimch'aek) to learn Korean and probably to teach at the local girls' school. In 1915 she founded the Young Saing Girls' School in Hamhŭng, becoming its first principal. She took a leave of absence and returned to Canada in order to attend Queen's University in Kingston, from which she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1922. She remained principal until 1941 when the wartime exodus of missionaries forced McEachran to return to Canada.
She continued her missionary work in a domestic setting, being stationed as superintendent of St. Columba House in Montreal between 1941 and 1943, then at Settlement House, Regina between 1945 and 1947, and finally to carry out community work in Saskatoon. McEachran retired to Toronto in 1951, but continued teaching English classes for immigrant communities.
McEachran died on October 27, 1959 at the age of 78, and is buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto.