Alberni Residential School was located on the west bank of the Somass River, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, just south of the Tseshaht Reserve and about four kilometres north of Port Alberni. It was operated by the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, and after 1925 The Woman's Missionary Society of The United Church of Canada. A day school first opened at the site under Missionary Rev. J.A. MacDonald of the Presbyterian Church in Canada in 1891. Soon, with the support of the government the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society of the Presbyterian Church opened a larger boarding home called Alberni Girls' Home to operate alongside the day school until 1899. Then, the Alberni Residential School opened in 1900. The United Church of Canada took over operations in 1925, and the school remained open until 1966. The Alberni Student Residence operated there from 1967-1973, with the Government of Canada taking over full responsibility in 1969.