Fonds F2534 - Alton - Caledon Pastoral Charge (Ont.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Alton - Caledon Pastoral Charge (Ont.) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00340 F2534

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1848-2001 (Creation)
    Creator
    Alton - Caledon Pastoral Charge (Ont.)
  • 1998 (Reproduction)
    Reproducer
    United Church of Canada Archives

Physical description area

Physical description

1.31 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1949-2009)

Administrative history

Alton - Caledon Pastoral Charge was formed in 1949 when Alton Pastoral Charge and Caledon Pastoral Charge joined to form one pastoral charge. It included Alton, Knox United Church in North Erin (until ca. 1954) and Knox United Church in Caledon. It closed ca. 2009 with the closure of Alton United Church. Knox United Church became a single charge, Calendon Village Pastoral Charge.
Knox United Church, located at 2976 Charleston Sideroad, Caledon was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian. Knox Presbyterian Church in Charleston (now Caledon) was established as a congregation in 1828, on Lot 17 in Caledon (bordering on Hurontario Street. A new building was constructed in 1860 at the corner of McFaul Street and sideroad 15. It joined the United Church of Canada in 1925 and formed a single-point charge until 1949 when it joined Alton Pastoral Charge. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.
Alton United Church, located at 1532 Queen Street East in Caledon, was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian and Methodist. The Methodist Church in Alton was established in 1850 and the first church building was located on Queen Street. A second church was constructed in 1879 farther east on Queen Street. Alton Presbyterian Church was ereceted in 1873. Alton Methodist Church and First Presbyterian Church in Alton united in 1925 and became part of the United Church of Canada. Alton United Church closed ca. 2009.
Knox United Church, North Erin, was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian.

Custodial history

This material forms part of the Ontario Regional Councils program of the United Church of Canada Archive.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records, including baptisms, 1916-1919, marriages, 1897-1925, burials, 1915, of Alton Methodist Circuit (includes Alton, Charleston now Caledon, Melville), 1897-1925; records, including baptisms, 1889, of First Presbyterian Church, Alton, 1874-1917; records, including baptisms, 1865-1887, 1867-1876, marriages, 1858-1888, of Knox Presbyterian Church, Caledon (includes Chalmers Church in Caledon Township), 1848-1925; records of North Erin Congregational Church, 1872-1896; records of Alton - Caledon Pastoral Charge (includes Alton, Caledon, North Erin), 1967-1991; records, including baptisms, 1887-1981, marriages, 1897-1981, burials, 1951-1981, of Knox United Church, Caledon, 1887-1994; records, including baptisms, 1874-1938, 1919-1927, 1940-1965, marriages, 1905-1938, 1919-1965, burials, 1919-1965, of Alton United Church, 1874-1999; records, including baptisms, 1896-1948, of Knox United Church, North Erin, 1896-1971.

Notes area

Physical condition

Condition: Damages - requires restoration or copying

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Parts of the textual records are available on microfilm reels LCM-233 and LCM-234: positive and negative; 35 mm. For a listing of these records, see the LCR Microfilm Shelf List. LCM reels are available through Inter- Library Loan.

Restrictions on access

Access to baptismal, marriage and burial registers may be restricted according to relevant privacy legislation.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Use microfilm where available

Finding aids

Toronto Conference - finding aid 288

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Index of baptisms before 1921, marriages, and burials before 1925 available in the Reading Room. See publication Alton - Caledon Pastoral Charge (formerly Presbyterian and Methodist) Peel County, Ontario, Ontario Genealogical Society.

Alternative identifier(s)

Accession

1977.640L

Accession

2000.022L

Accession

2005.105L

Accession

2013.014L

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area