Alton - Caledon Pastoral Charge (Ont.) fonds
- Textual record
- United Church of Canada Archives
1.31 m of textual records
Alton - Caledon Pastoral Charge was formed in 1949 when Alton Pastoral Charge and Caledon Pastoral Charge joined to form one pastoral charge. It included Alton, Knox United Church in North Erin (until ca. 1954) and Knox United Church in Caledon. It closed ca. 2009 with the closure of Alton United Church. Knox United Church became a single charge, Calendon Village Pastoral Charge.
Knox United Church, located at 2976 Charleston Sideroad, Caledon was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian. Knox Presbyterian Church in Charleston (now Caledon) was established as a congregation in 1828, on Lot 17 in Caledon (bordering on Hurontario Street. A new building was constructed in 1860 at the corner of McFaul Street and sideroad 15. It joined the United Church of Canada in 1925 and formed a single-point charge until 1949 when it joined Alton Pastoral Charge. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.
Alton United Church, located at 1532 Queen Street East in Caledon, was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian and Methodist. The Methodist Church in Alton was established in 1850 and the first church building was located on Queen Street. A second church was constructed in 1879 farther east on Queen Street. Alton Presbyterian Church was ereceted in 1873. Alton Methodist Church and First Presbyterian Church in Alton united in 1925 and became part of the United Church of Canada. Alton United Church closed ca. 2009.
Knox United Church, North Erin, was established in 1925, formerly Presbyterian.
This material forms part of the Ontario Regional Councils program of the United Church of Canada Archive.
Fonds consists of records, including baptisms, 1916-1919, marriages, 1897-1925, burials, 1915, of Alton Methodist Circuit (includes Alton, Charleston now Caledon, Melville), 1897-1925; records, including baptisms, 1889, of First Presbyterian Church, Alton, 1874-1917; records, including baptisms, 1865-1887, 1867-1876, marriages, 1858-1888, of Knox Presbyterian Church, Caledon (includes Chalmers Church in Caledon Township), 1848-1925; records of North Erin Congregational Church, 1872-1896; records of Alton - Caledon Pastoral Charge (includes Alton, Caledon, North Erin), 1967-1991; records, including baptisms, 1887-1981, marriages, 1897-1981, burials, 1951-1981, of Knox United Church, Caledon, 1887-1994; records, including baptisms, 1874-1938, 1919-1927, 1940-1965, marriages, 1905-1938, 1919-1965, burials, 1919-1965, of Alton United Church, 1874-1999; records, including baptisms, 1896-1948, of Knox United Church, North Erin, 1896-1971.
Condition: Damages - requires restoration or copying
Parts of the textual records are available on microfilm reels LCM-233 and LCM-234: positive and negative; 35 mm. For a listing of these records, see the LCR Microfilm Shelf List. LCM reels are available through Inter- Library Loan.
Access to baptismal, marriage and burial registers may be restricted according to relevant privacy legislation.
控制使用, 复制, 和发布的术语
Use microfilm where available
Toronto Conference - finding aid 288
Uploaded finding aid
Index of baptisms before 1921, marriages, and burials before 1925 available in the Reading Room. See publication Alton - Caledon Pastoral Charge (formerly Presbyterian and Methodist) Peel County, Ontario, Ontario Genealogical Society.
- United Church of Canada Archives (Reproducer)
- Alton United Church (Ont.) (主题)
- Knox United Church (Caledon, Ont.) (主题)