Fonds F1612 - Arkona - Ravenswood Pastoral Charge (Ont.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Arkona - Ravenswood Pastoral Charge (Ont.) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00340 F1612

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1861-1951 (Creation)
    Creator
    Arkona-Ravenswood Pastoral Charge (Ont.)
  • 1998 (Reproduction)
    Reproducer
    United Church of Canada Archives
    Note
    Microfilmed

Physical description area

Physical description

36 cm of textual records
1 photograph

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(2002-2008)

Administrative history

Arkona-Ravenswood Pastoral Charge was formed on June 20, 2002; formely known from 1925-2002, Arkona Pastoral Charge. It included Arkona, Ravenswood, West Williams and Sylvan (1925-1926). It disbanded in 2008 when Arkona United Church closed and is now named Ravenswood Pastoral Charge.

Arkona United Church, located at 13 Centre Street, was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. Both the Episcopal Methodists and the Wesleyan Methodists were in Arkona as early as the 1850s. In 1884, the two congregations united to form Arkona Methodist Church in the Wesleyan Methodist church building. The church was construced in 1862 and was raised to include a Sunday School in 1915. It joined the United Church in 1925. The congregation disbanded on June 29, 2008.

West Williams United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. The church was built in 1870 on the west side of the Lamon community in West Williams. The congregation closed in 1964.

Ravenswood United Church, located at 7476 Lakeshore Road in Lambton Shores, was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. The church was originally built in 1867 and was part of the Arkona Mission. In 1884, Ravenswood Methodist Circuit was formed including Ravenswood, Ebenezer and Kinnaird. It joined the United Church of Canada in 1925 and was a three-point charge with Jura and North Plympton. The charge disbanded ca. 1946 and Ravenswood joined the Arkona Pastoral Charge. On July 20, 1939, the church was destroyed by fire and the community built a new church, which opened in November 26, 1939. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

Name of creator

(1925-ca.1950)

Administrative history

Jura United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist; it closed ca. 1950.

Custodial history

This material forms part of the Ontario Regional Councils program of the United Church of Canada Archive.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records of Arkona Methodist Circuit (includes Arkona Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, Arkona Methodist Episcopal Circuit, Arkona, Sylvan, Ravenswood, Bethel Church in Warwick Township, Keyser), 1861-1926; land deed, 1904, and photograph, of Salem Methodist Episcopal Church, Keyser; Board and Committee minutes of Arkona Methodist Church, 1898-1922; records of Jura Methodist Church, 1913-1924; records of Arkona Pastoral Charge (includes Arkona, Ravenswood and West Williams), 1962-2000; records of Arkona United Church (includes Arkona Methodist Church), 1920-1992; records of Jura United Church (includes Jura Methodist Church), 1921-1946; records of West Williams United Church, 1937-1964, and property correspondence of Ravenswood United Church, 1982.

Notes area

Physical condition

Damages - requires restoration or copying

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Parts of the textual records are available on microfilm reel LCM-205: positive and negative; 35 mm. For a listing of these records, see the LCR Microfilm Shelf List. LCM reels are available through Inter-Library Loan.

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Use microfilm where available

Finding aids

London Conference - finding aid 291

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected

General note

Includes records of former Fonds 1681: Jura United Church (Ont.)

Alternative identifier(s)

Accession

1977.364L

Accession

1977.422L

Accession

1987.238L/TR

Accession

2008.038L

Accession

2009.078L/TR

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area