Title and statement of responsibility area
Bancroft-Carlow Pastoral Charge (Ont.) fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Sound recording
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Bancroft-Carlow Pastoral Charge (Ont.)
- United Church of Canada Archives
Physical description area
26 cm of textual records
6 microfilm reels : positive and negative
2 audio cassettes
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Bancroft-Carlow Pastoral Charge was formed ca.1969 upon the union of Bancroft Pastoral Charge and Carlow Pastoral Charge; it included Bancroft (St. Paul's), Baptiste (St. Matthew's); L'Amable (St. Andrew's), Boulter (Carlow), and (New) Hermon (Mayo). Bancroft Pastoral Charge was formed in 1925; formerly Methodist and Presbyterian; it included Bancroft (St. Paul's), Monk (now Monck) Road (until the 1930s only), Baptiste (St. Matthew's), Paudash (until ca. 1958 only), Detlor (Grace, from 1931 to ca.1968), and L'Amable (St. Andrew's); it was discontinued ca.1969 when it merged with Carlow Pastoral Charge to form Bancroft- Carlow Pastoral Charge.
Name of creator
Carlow Pastoral Charge was formed in 1925, though it was originally referred to as Fort Stewart Pastoral Charge; formerly Presbyterian; it included points in Carlow and Mayo Townships, including Fort Stewart, Craigmont, Boulter, Boundary, McArthurs Mills, Hermon (now New Hermon), and New Carlow; ca.1969, Carlow Pastoral Charge combined with Bancroft Pastoral Charge to form Bancroft-Carlow Pastoral Charge.
Carlow Presbyterian Pastoral Charge traces its origins to the 1860s and the establishment of the North Hastings Mission; by the 1870s, Carlow and Mayo was identified as a separate mission; at various times, this mission included Carlow, Hermon (now New Hermon), McArthurs Mills, Bessemer, Fort Stewart, New Carlow, Boundary, and Craigmont; it entered the United Church in 1925, where it was at first sometimes referred to as Fort Stewart Pastoral Charge.rt Pastoral Charge.
This material forms part of the Ontario Regional Councils program of the United Church of Canada Archive.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of Quarterly Board minutes, 1884-1917, of Bancroft Methodist Circuit (includes Bancroft, Vankleek's, Bronson's, Paudash, Monk (now Monck) Road, and Egan Creek); records of St. Paul's Methodist Church in Bancroft, 1901-1922; records, including baptisms, 1878-1895, of Carlow and Mayo Presbyterian Pastoral Charge (includes Carlow a nd Mayo,Long Lake, Hermon [now New Hermon]), 1868-1914; records, including baptisms, 1886-1918, and marriages, 1896-1917, of L'Amable Presbyterian Mission (includes L'Amable, Turriff, and Bancroft), 1886-1922; records, including baptisms, 1900-1967, marriages, 1899-1960, and burials, 1899-1965, of Bancroft Pastoral Charge (includes Bancroft Methodist Circuit, Bancroft, Monk (now Monck) Road (until the 1930s only), Baptiste, Paudash (until ca.1958), Detlor (from 1931 to ca.1968), and L'Amable), 1897-1967; records of Carlow Pastoral Charge (includes Fort Stewart Pastoral Charge, Carlow Township, Mayo Township, Fort Stewart, Craigmont, Boulter, Boundary, McArthurs Mills, Hermon [now New Hermon], New Carlow), 1904-1953; marriages, 1960-1972, and communion rolls, 1918-1973, of Bancroft-Carlow Pastoral Charge (includes Bancroft Methodist Circuit, Bancroft Pastoral Charge, Bancroft, Baptiste, L'Amable, Boulter, and (New) Hermon), 1918-1973; records of St. Paul's United Church in Bancroft (includes St. Paul's Methodist), 1909-1997; records of St. Andrew's United Church in L'Amable (includes St. Andrew's Presbyterian), 1903-1976; a Home Mission record book, 1930, from Detlor United Church Mission (includes Detlor, L'Amable, Turriff, and Ormsby); Woman's Association minutes, 1953-1961, and audio cassette recording of the 100th anniversary service of Grace United Church in Detlor; and records of St. Matthew's United Church in Baptiste, 1939-1960.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Microfilm copy of all of the original records in this fonds (relating to Bancroft) are available on 6 microfilm reels (positive and negative); microfilm copies of original records not held by the United Church Archives are also included; see finding aid for details.
Parts of the textual records are availavle on microfilm reel LCM-202: positive and negative; 35 mm. For a listing of these records, see the LCR Microfilm Shelf List. LCM reels are available through Inter-Library Loan.
Restrictions on access
Access to baptismal, marriage and burial registers may be restricted according to relevant privacy legislation.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use microfilm where available
Bay of Quinte Conference - finding aid 287
Uploaded finding aid
Includes former Fonds 1657: Carlow Pastoral Charge
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
- Canada » Ontario » Hastings, County of » Bancroft
- Canada » Ontario » Hastings, County of » Hastings Highlands, Municipality of » Baptiste
- Canada » Ontario » Hastings, County of » Carlow/Mayo, Township of » Boulter
- Canada » Ontario » Hastings, County of » Bancroft » L'Amable
- Canada » Ontario » Hastings, County of » Carlow/Mayo, Township of
- Canada » Ontario » Huron, County of » Ashfield-Colborne-Wawanosh, Township of » Carlow
- Canada » Ontario » Hastings, County of » Carlow/Mayo, Township of » McArthurs Mills