Centre for Christian Studies (Toronto, Ont.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Centre for Christian Studies (Toronto, Ont.)

Parallel form(s) of name

    Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

      Other form(s) of name

        Identifiers for corporate bodies

        Description area

        Dates of existence



        In 1926 the Presbyterian Missionary and Deaconess Training Home and the Methodist National Training School joined to form the United Church Training School in Toronto. In 1930 the School became affiliated with Emmanuel College, whose staff contributed to the courses of instruction. The School was first located at 135 St. Clair Avenue West, the former Methodist building. In 1942 the Canadian Women's Army Corps took over the St. Clair building and the school moved to 214 St. George Street West; in 1955 a new building was constructed at 77 Charles Street West. The purpose of the school was to train women for work as missionaries for home and foreign fields, Social Service, as congregational workers in pastoral charges, and other non ordained Church vocations. The School was under the direction of a Board of Management which was appointed by the United Church of Canada General Council, and was supervised by a Principal, a position held by Jean E. Macdonald, 1926 1934, Gertrude L. Rutherford, 1934 1946, Jean D.H. Hutchinson, 1946 1953, and K. Harriet Christie, 1953 1970. In 1962 the name was changed to Covenant College, and the constitution amended to permit the admission of male students.

        In 1970 Covenant College amalgamated with the Anglican Women's Training College to constitute the Centre for Christian Studies. The two amalgamating bodies continued to operate as separate administrative entities until a complete merger was constituted in 1991. The Centre was located on Charles Street West in Toronto, before moving to Winnipeg in 1998. Its mandate was to act as a theological school of the United and Anglican Churches of Canada which prepared and supported women and men in educational, pastoral and social justice ministry in the church and the world, including providing a diploma program for diaconal ministers in the United Church. The Centre was governed by a volunteer board called the Central Council, which was composed of directors representing the Anglican and United Churches, as well as Friends of the Centre. Principals of the Centre have been Marion Niven 1970- 1982, Gwyn Griffith, 1982-1991, Trudy Lebans, 1991-1995, Wendy Hunt (Coordinator), 1996-1998 and Caryn Douglas, 1998-2008.


        Legal status

        Functions, occupations and activities

        Mandates/sources of authority

        Internal structures/genealogy

        General context

        Relationships area

        Related entity

        Covenant College (Toronto, Ont.) (1962-)

        Identifier of related entity

        Category of relationship


        Type of relationship

        Covenant College (Toronto, Ont.) is the predecessor of Centre for Christian Studies (Toronto, Ont.)

        Dates of relationship

        Description of relationship

        Access points area

        Subject access points

        Place access points


        Control area

        Authority record identifier


        Institution identifier


        Rules and/or conventions used



        Level of detail


        Dates of creation, revision and deletion




            Maintenance notes