Fonds F535 - Centre for Christian Studies fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Centre for Christian Studies fonds

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA ON00340 F535

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1896-2010, predominant 1970-1994 (Creation)
    Centre for Christian Studies (Toronto, Ont.)

Physical description area

Physical description

6.38 m of textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

In 1926 the Presbyterian Missionary and Deaconess Training Home and the Methodist National Training School joined to form the United Church Training School in Toronto. In 1930 the School became affiliated with Emmanuel College, whose staff contributed to the courses of instruction. The School was first located at 135 St. Clair Avenue West, the former Methodist building. In 1942 the Canadian Women's Army Corps took over the St. Clair building and the school moved to 214 St. George Street West; in 1955 a new building was constructed at 77 Charles Street West. The purpose of the school was to train women for work as missionaries for home and foreign fields, Social Service, as congregational workers in pastoral charges, and other non ordained Church vocations. The School was under the direction of a Board of Management which was appointed by the United Church of Canada General Council, and was supervised by a Principal, a position held by Jean E. Macdonald, 1926 1934, Gertrude L. Rutherford, 1934 1946, Jean D.H. Hutchinson, 1946 1953, and K. Harriet Christie, 1953 1970. In 1962 the name was changed to Covenant College, and the constitution amended to permit the admission of male students.

In 1970 Covenant College amalgamated with the Anglican Women's Training College to constitute the Centre for Christian Studies. The two amalgamating bodies continued to operate as separate administrative entities until a complete merger was constituted in 1991. The Centre was located on Charles Street West in Toronto, before moving to Winnipeg in 1998. Its mandate was to act as a theological school of the United and Anglican Churches of Canada which prepared and supported women and men in educational, pastoral and social justice ministry in the church and the world, including providing a diploma program for diaconal ministers in the United Church. The Centre was governed by a volunteer board called the Central Council, which was composed of directors representing the Anglican and United Churches, as well as Friends of the Centre. Principals of the Centre have been Marion Niven 1970- 1982, Gwyn Griffith, 1982-1991, Trudy Lebans, 1991-1995, Wendy Hunt (Coordinator), 1996-1998 and Caryn Douglas, 1998-2008.

Custodial history

This material forms part of the General Council program of the United Church of Canada Archive.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the following series: Methodist National Training School, 1896-1946; Presbyterian Missionary and Deaconess Training Home, 1918 1946; United Church Training School, 1926-1971; Covenant College, 1963-1991; Centre for Christian Studies, 1970-2010, and Photographs and Audio-Visual Materials, [192-?]-1994.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

    Script of material

      Location of originals

      Availability of other formats

      Restrictions on access

      Some restrictions apply.

      Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

      Finding aids

      Associated materials

      Related materials


      Physical description

      Includes: 809 photographs, 18 glass slides, 7 audio cassettes, 3 audio reels, 6 video cassettes.

      Alternative identifier(s)





















      Standard number

      Standard number

      Access points

      Subject access points

      Place access points

      Genre access points

      Control area

      Description record identifier

      Institution identifier

      Rules or conventions


      Level of detail

      Dates of creation, revision and deletion

      Language of description

        Script of description


          Accession area