The Christian Association for the Promotion of Holiness, later known simply as the Christian Association, was part of a stream of Protestant churches, including Methodist, that began under the leadership of Rev. Nelson Burns in 1879. Burns was later deposed from the Methodist ministry in 1894. Early minute records show business meetings generally held in Toronto as well as camp or convention meetings held elsewhere in Ontario, including Brantford, Hamilton, and Niagara Falls. In 1905, the Christian Association purchased the First Church building at 474 Ontario Street, Toronto, next to the current Winchester Square Park and near the crossroads of Ontario and Carleton streets.