Fonds F2861 - Cummer Avenue United Church (North York, Ont.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Cummer Avenue United Church (North York, Ont.) fonds

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00340 F2861

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Scales differ

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

5.57 m of textual records and other materials

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(2013-)

Administrative history

Cummer Avenue United Church was created in 2013 with the amalgamation of Newtonbrook United Church and Northminster United Church. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.
Newtonbrook United Church was established in 1925; formerly Methodist. In 1840, a new Methodist chapel was formed in 1840 as part of the Wesleyan Methodist Circuit at Yonge and Finch on th northwest corner. A church was built in 1858, dedicated as Newtonbrook Wesleyan Methodist Church. In 1888 the original church burnt down and a new one was constructed at 5670 Yonge Street. In 1959 this property was sold to a developer and property was purchased at 53 Cummer Avenue. A new building was dedicated on February 17, 1960, with an addition added in 1962. On July 1, 2013, Newtonbrook united with Northminster United Church to form Cummer Avenue United Church, at the former Newtonbrook church building.
Northminster United Church in North York was established in 1956. The church building was dedicated in 1961 and was located at 255 Finch Avenue West, near Bathurst Street, in the urban community of Willowdale. On July 1, 2013, Northminster united wth Newtonbrook United Church to form Cummer Avenue United Church.

Custodial history

This material forms part of the Ontario Regional Councils program of the United Church of Canada Archive.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records, including baptisms, 1902-1946. marriages, 1899-1966, and burials, 1902-1967, of Newtonbrook United Church (including Newtonbrook and Willowdale Methodist Circuit), 1854-2013; records, including marriages, 1958-1982, and burials 1957-2011, of Northminster United Church in North York, 1956-2013; records of Cummer Avenue United Church, North York, 2013-2017.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access to baptismal, marriage and burial registers may be restricted according to relevant privacy legislation.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Toronto Conference - Metropolitan Toronto - finding aid 289

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Contains records of former Fonds 1805

Physical description

Includes:
314 photographs
22 architectural drawings
1 audio cassette

Alternative identifier(s)

Accession

1989.157L

Accession

2004.107L

Accession

2009.051L

Accession

2010.114L

Accession

2012.099L

Accession

2013.082L

Accession

2018.262L

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area