The first Methodist camp meeting in the Duncan area was held at Maple Bay in 1868. In 1869, a church was built at Maple Bay, part of a circuit comprising Nanaimo, Somenos, Cowichan and Saltspring Island. The circuit was later known as Cowichan and Salt Spring Island. After Saltspring Island became a separate circuit in 1899, it became the Cowichan Circuit. The Alderlea Methodist Church was built at Duncan (then Duncan's Station) in 1890. Presbyterian activity in the area began at Crofton in 1902. By 1903, however, Duncan had become the centre of the field. The first services were held in the Methodist church. St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church was built in 1907. After Union, the St. Andrew's building was used by the non-concurring Presbyterians, while the United Church congregation used the Alderlea Methodist Church, renamed Duncan United Church. In 1930, Maple Bay United Church was closed and its congregation joined with Duncan United Church.