Archief DUN DU - Duncan United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area


Duncan United Church fonds

Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal

    Parallelle titel

    Overige titelinformatie

    Title statements of responsibility

    Titel aantekeningen

    • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds



    referentie code




    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Datering archiefvorming


    • 1920-1997 (Vervaardig)
      Duncan United Church

    Fysieke beschrijving

    Fysieke beschrijving

    64 cm of textual records

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archivistische beschrijving

    Naam van de archiefvormer


    The first Methodist camp meeting in the Duncan area was held at Maple Bay in 1868. In 1869, a church was built at Maple Bay, part of a circuit comprising Nanaimo, Somenos, Cowichan and Saltspring Island. The circuit was later known as Cowichan and Salt Spring Island. After Saltspring Island became a separate circuit in 1899, it became the Cowichan Circuit. The Alderlea Methodist Church was built at Duncan (then Duncan's Station) in 1890. Presbyterian activity in the area began at Crofton in 1902. By 1903, however, Duncan had become the centre of the field. The first services were held in the Methodist church. St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church was built in 1907. After Union, the St. Andrew's building was used by the non-concurring Presbyterians, while the United Church congregation used the Alderlea Methodist Church, renamed Duncan United Church. In 1930, Maple Bay United Church was closed and its congregation joined with Duncan United Church.

    Naam van de archiefvormer


    The first Presbyterian work in the area began in Crofton in 1902. By 1903, Duncan had become the centre of the field, with early Presbyterian services being held in the Methodist Church. St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Duncan, B.C.) was built in 1907. With the coming of church union in 1925, the concurring St. Andrew's congregation joined with the Methodists and became a part of Duncan United Church. The St. Andrew's building was used by the non-concurring Presbyterians.

    Geschiedenis beheer

    Bereik en inhoud

    Fonds consists of records from Duncan United Church and St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. Records include Baptismal records (1920-1965), Marriage registers (1926-1983) and Burial registers (1958-1987); Session minutes (1958-1994), Stewards minutes (1936-1994) and Official Board minutes (1926-1994); Woman's Association (Guild) minutes (1926-1941); Annual reports (1957-1966, 1988-1997); and Newsletters (1988-1993).


    Materiële staat

    Directe bron van verwerving

    Transferred directly from Duncan United Church


    Taal van het materiaal

    • Engels

    Schrift van het materiaal

      Plaats van originelen

      Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten

      Restrictions on access

      Access to vital event records (baptism/marriage/burial records) may be restricted according to requirements of the B.C. Personal Information Protection Act

      Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.


      File list available

      Uploaded finding aid

      Associated materials

      Related materials


      Further accruals expected

      Alpha-numeric designations

      BCAUL control number: UCCBC-149

      Alternative identifier(s)

      Standaard nummer

      Standaard nummer


      Onderwerp trefwoord

      Geografische trefwoorden

      Naam ontsluitingsterm

      Genre access points


      Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord

      Identificatiecode van de instelling

      Regels of conventies

      Rules for Archival Description



      Niveau van detaillering


      Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering

      Revised June 27, 2013

      Taal van de beschrijving

      • Engels

      Schrift van de beschrijving


        Voorwaarden voor raadpleging en gebruik