Victor Home began unofficially as early as 1900, at the Fred Victor Mission, where expectant mothers were accepted by the deaconess. In the minutes of the Fred Victor Mission Society of the Methodist Church this work was informally referred to as “rescue work”. In 1904, it was decided to make this a separate mission department and Victor Home for Women was opened under the name “Door of Hope” at 295 Jarvis Street. In 1904, the old Metropolitan Church parsonage at 266 Jarvis Street was acquired after it was decided that more space was required to carry out the work of the home. In 1913, 341 Jarvis Street was purchased for the Home to expand their work which included a Well Baby clinic. In 1939 Victor Home was run by a 16 member management executive that reported to the Toronto Home Missions Council.Until 1957, adoptions for mothers at the homes were arranged by the Victor Home. At this time, in response to legal actions taken against the home and the Toronto Home Missions Council in 1956, it was decided to temporarily transfer adoption processes to the Children’s Aid Society. In 1958 this arrangement was made official.
In 1989 Victor Home for Women was incorporated as Massey Center for Women. Subseries consists of Board of Directors records, 1983-1986; general correspondence, 1935-1982; Housing Project records, 1986-1988, Task Force records, 1986-1989; property records (including deeds), 1887-1990.