Fonds F1364 - Harmony United Church (Brantford, Ont.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Harmony United Church (Brantford, Ont.) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00340 F1364

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1857-1994 (Creation)
    Creator
    Harmony United Church (Brantford, Ont.)
  • 1996-1997 (Reproduction)
    Reproducer
    United Church of Canada Archives
    Note
    Microfilmed

Physical description area

Physical description

1 m of textual records
317 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1994-)

Administrative history

Harmony United Church, located at 268 Marlborough Street in Brantford, was established on August 31, 1994 with the amalgamation of Cainsville United Church in Brantford and Marlboro United Church in Brantford. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

Cainsville United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. Cainsville Wesleyan Methodist Circuit was formed ca. 1851, and included Onondaga, Burkholder's Church, New Brick Church, Hall's Corners (now Binbrooke), Plank Road (now Langford), Fisher's Church, Glanford, Bell's Church, Bowman's Church, Seneca, Caledonia, Mud Church, Ancaster, Mount Hope; it was discontinued in 1874 when the Methodist Church of Canada was formed. Cainsville Methodist Circuit was formed ca. 1874, and included Onondaga, New England Church, Bethesda Church, Ancaster, Plank Road (now Langford), Saltsprings, Newport, and Brant; it was discontinued in 1925 when the United Church of Canada was formed. Cainsville Methodist Church was established in 1874, formerly Wesleyan Methodist. It joined the United Church in 1925 and was part of Cainsville Pastoral Charge, which included Langford and Elm Street Church. Cainsville United Church was discontinued in 1994 when the congregation amalgamated with Marlboro United Church to form Harmony United Church in the Marlboro church building.

Marlboro United Church , also known as Marlboro Street United Church, was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. Marlboro Street Methodist Church was established ca. 1912 and it joined the United Church of Canada in 1925. It closed in 1994 when the congregation amalgamated with Cainsville United Church.

Custodial history

This material forms part of the Ontario Regional Councils program of the United Church of Canada Archive.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records, including marriages, 1857-1869, of Cainsville Wesleyan Methodist Circuit (includes Glanford Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, Onondaga, Burkholder's Church, New Brick Church, Hall's Corner's (now Binbrooke), Plank Road (now Langford), Fisher's Church, Glanford, Bell's Church, Bowman's Church, Seneca, Caledonia, Mud Church, Ancaster, Mount Hope), 1857-1872; records, including marriages, 1897-1919, of Cainsville Methodist Circuit (includes Cainsville Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, Onondaga, New England Church, Bethesda Church, Ancaster, Plank Road (now Langford), Saltsprings, Newport, Brant), 1856-1921; records, including marriages, 1897-1919, of Cainsville Methodist Church, Brantford, 1897-1922; records of Marlboro Street Methodist Church, Brantford, 1912-1925; records, including baptisms, 1927-1983, marriages, 1936-1994, burials, 1937-1994, of Cainsville Pastoral Charge, Brantford (includes Cainsville Methodist Circuit, Langford, Elm Street Church), 1921-1994; records of Cainsville United Church, Brantford, 1967-1994; and records, including baptisms, 1914-1994, marriages, 1914-1993, burials, 1915-1989, of Marlboro United Church, Brantford (includes Marlboro Street Methodist Church), 1914-1994.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

    Location of originals

    Availability of other formats

    Marriages, 1897-1919, is a typescript Marriage register, 1857-1869, 1936-1965, and baptisms, 1937-1954, burials, 1937-1957, are available on typescript (77.138L)
    Parts of the textual records are available on microfilm reel(s) LCM-4 and LCM-5: positive and negative; 35mm. For a listing of these records, see the LCR Microfilm Shelf List. LCM reels are available through Inter-Library Loan.

    Restrictions on access

    Access to baptismal, marriage and burial registers may be restricted according to relevant privacy legislation.

    Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

    Use microfilm where available.

    Finding aids

    Hamilton Conference - finding aid 290

    Associated materials

    Related materials

    Accruals

    General note

    Includes records of former Fonds 1365: Marlboro United Church (Brantford, Ont.)

    Alternative identifier(s)

    Accession

    1977.038L

    Accession

    1991.079L

    Accession

    1993.164L/TR

    Accession

    1995.032L

    Accession

    1995.033L

    Standard number

    Standard number

    Access points

    Subject access points

    Name access points

    Genre access points

    Control area

    Description record identifier

    Institution identifier

    Rules or conventions

    Status

    Level of detail

    Dates of creation, revision and deletion

    Language of description

      Script of description

        Sources

        Accession area