Religion

103 People and organizations results for Religion

Affleck, George Archibald, 1912-2000

  • Person
  • 1912-2000

George Affleck was born in Lanark, Ontario on March 7, 1912. He was educated at the University of Toronto, Emmanuel College, and St. Andrew's University in Scotland. He was ordained in the United Church in 1939 and was awarded an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree by Union College (Vancouver) in 1969. George Affleck and his wife, Fronia, served United Church congregations in British Columbia, including Skidegate, Kimberley, Vernon, Crescent Beach (Surrey), Powell River, Port Alberni, and Parksville. From 1972 to 1977, he was Presbytery Officer for the Vancouver Island Presbytery. George Affleck died July 15, 2000 at Nanaimo, B.C.

Anna Turnbull Memorial Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • 1906-1942

The Anna Turnbull Memorial Hospital was located in Wakaw, Saskatchewan. In 1905 Rev. George Arthur established The Geneva Mission at Wakaw. Dr. Arthur and his wife initially cared for the sick in their home. In 1906 a hospital was built by the Woman's Home Missionary Society of The Presbyterian Church in Canada. After church union in 1925 it was operated by The Woman's Missionary Society (WMS) of The United Church of Canada. In 1912 a new hospital was built, which enlarged over time with a new operating room built in 1928. The hospital was operated by the WMS until 1942. In 1943 the doctors residence was sold to Dr. R. G. Scott who had been responsible for the hospital's management and financing, and in 1946 other buildings were sold.

Archer Memorial Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • September 12, 1912-

Archer Hospital was located in Lamont, Alberta. In 1903, Dr. Albert Ernest Archer (1878-1949), a medical missionary with the Methodist Church of Canada arrived in Star, Alberta to become a physician to the local Ukrainian community. In 1906, the railway was extended to Lamont and The Archers moved there. The Archers began to see patients in their home, and eventually, persuaded the local Methodist Church board to sponsor a hospital. The Lamont Public Hospital opened on September 12, 1912. It was managed by the Methodist Church, and after 1925, The United Church of Canada. Dr. Archer was the first Medical Superintendent and remained in that position for 37 years. A nursing school operated there from 1912-1972. In 1950 the hospital was renamed Archer Memorial Hospital as a dedication to its founder. In 1992 all the facilities on campus merged to form the Lamont Healthcare Centre, which is still operational.

Arnup, Jesse Henry, 1880-1965

  • Person
  • 1880-1965

Jesse H. Arnup, (1881-1965) was a minister and Moderator of the United Church of Canada. He was born in Norfolk County, Ontario in 1881. He graduated from Victoria College in 1909 and received his D.D. from Wesley College, Winnipeg, in 1924. From 1910 to 1912 he was Secretary of the Layman's Missionary Movement of the Methodist Church, Assistant Secretary of Overseas Missions from 1913 to 1925, and Secretary of United Church of Canada Foreign Missions from 1925 to 1952. He served as Moderator from 1944 to 1946.

Austin, Winston Eric

  • Person
  • 1906-1994

Eric Winston Austin was born in Northwich, England on August 27, 1906. His family came to Canada in 1910. After graduating from medical school in 1932, he was employed for a short time at Large Memorial Hospital in Bella Bella with Dr. George Darby, and then on board the Thomas Crosby III (1932-1938) with Rev. Robert C. Scott. Dr. Austin subsequently became a physician at Wrinch Memorial Hospital in Hazelton (1938-1942). From 1942 until the end of the Second World War, he served the Royal Army Medical Corps. At war's end, he became a surgeon for the Vancouver Military Hospital, then for Vancouver General Hospital, and in later years had a private practice. Dr. Austin married his second wife, Mary Louise Hannah (nee Reid), in 1978. The couple were members of Shaughnessy Heights United Church in Vancouver. Eric Austin died on August 8, 1994.

Battle River Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • September, 1937-1954

The Battle River Hospital was located in Manning, Alberta. When the Peace River Country of northern Alberta was opened for settlement, the Woman's Missionary Society (WMS) of the Presbyterian Church in Canada established a small hospital on the Battle River mid-way between the villages of Notikewin and North Star. It was located 65 miles from the railway in an area inhabited by about 5,000 people most of whom had moved north from dried-out sections of Alberta and Saskatchewan. The hospital was opened in September, 1937 by the WMS of The United Church of Canada with accommodation for 8 patients, and with a nurse’s residence on the second floor. When it opened Dr. Doidge was the doctor, Miss, M.E. McMurray the matron, and Miss Frances M. Clarkson the staff nurse. Changes in staff were frequent, because of the loneliness of the situation of the hospital. Before long additions were made, the hospital was enlarged to accommodate 17 patients; a new nurses residence was opened in 1946 and a doctor’s residence in 1948. At first the address of the hospital was Grmishaw, the railway station 65 miles away, but as the railway was extended north and roads opened a town grew up in the hospital area. This town was named Manning after the premier of Alberta. With the growth of the town the area could no longer be considered a pioneer community. The municipality became interested in operating its own hospital, so after considerable negotiation the WMS sold the Battle River hospital to the town in 1954.

Best, Marion

  • Person
  • 1924-

Marion Best was born in New Westminster, British Columbia. She received Nurse Training at the Royal Columbian Hospital, then worked there from 1968-1975. In 1977, she and her husband Jack Best received a joint call to the Naramata Centre in British Columbia, where she worked on programs and he worked on public relations and finances. She continued work there until 1987 when she began freelance consulting work with church and community groups, in the healthcare field. For many years, she was on the Executive of the World Council of Churches. She was also President of the British Columbia Conference, and on the United Church’s General Council Executive. A lay-leader, she served as Moderator of the United Church from 1994-1997, and in 1998 began serving as Vice-Moderator of the World Council of Churches. Best was Chair of the sessional committee that produced the 1988 recommendations on opening the ministry to gays and lesbians, in the report Toward a Christian Understanding of Sexual Orientation Lifestyles and Ministry.

Booth, Rodney M., 1933-2014

  • Person
  • 1933-2014

Rodney M. Booth was born in Arvida, Quebec. He obtained a Master of Divinity degree from United Theological College (UTC). He was later awarded an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree from UTC. Booth was ordained by Montreal-Ottawa Conference in 1957 and served congregations in Nakusp (1957-1959) and East Trail (1960-1966). He became the first Director of Student Affairs at Selkirk College, Castlegar in 1966. The following year, he became Director of Broadcasting for BC Conference, pioneering the church's venture into television. In 1984, he moved to Toronto to serve as Media Director/Executive Producer of United Church Television with the National Division of Communication. Booth was Chairperson of the World Council of Churches' Communicators' Network, and over the years provided resources and media coverage for three Assemblies. He also participated in co-productions of documentaries with the BBC, NBC, and CBC, and earned numerous international awards for his writing and documentaries. Booth retired to Surrey, B.C. in 1999 and continued consulting in the field of broadcasting and communications for several years.

Bott, Richard, 1968-

  • CAN
  • Person
  • 1968-

Moderator of the United Church of Canada, 2018 to 2022.

Bracewell, R. Grant, 1928-2021

  • Person
  • 1928-2021

Grant Bracewell was born in Penticton, B.C. After studying at the University of British Columbia and Union College, he was ordained by The United Church of Canada, BC Conference in 1955. He served in pastoral ministry first as a student at Honeymoon Bay, B.C., and post-ordination at Bella Coola, Trinity (Merritt), and Royal Heights (Delta). Having received a testamur in 1955, he completed the thesis requirement for his Bachelor of Divinity degree while in pastoral ministry. In 1967, he earned his Master of Library Science degree and the following year became the first theological librarian at Emmanuel College (University of Toronto) and coordinator of all the libraries of the Toronto Schools of Theology. He retired with his wife, Eleanor, in 1993 to South Surrey, B.C., where both were involved at Crescent United Church.

Bracewell served the United Church in various capacities throughout his life, both in Ontario and B.C. Among his many contributions were: Boys' Work Secretary for the BC Conference Christian Education Committee; chair of the Bella Coola General Hospital Board (1955-1958); chair of Toronto Scarborough Presbytery (1986-1987); chair of the General Council Manual Committee (1980-1986); and chair of the BC Conference Archives and History Committee (1996-2005). He was a member of numerous university and church committees, but most relevant to the archival materials was his work on the Research Committee for the Working Unit on Sexuality, Marriage, and Family (Division of Mission in Canada, 1982). In retirement, Bracewell served on the Board of the Camp Kwomais Society (1994-2004) and volunteered at the BC Conference Archives for 25 years (1993-2018).

Brewing, Willard, d.1960

  • Person
  • d. 1960

Rev. Dr. Willard Brewing was born in Sussex Corners, N.B. He trained for the ministry in the United States and served the Reformed Episcopal Church in Canada as minister and bishop. In 1929, he accepted a call to St. Andrew's - Wesley United Church, Vancouver, where he remained until moving to St. George's United Church, Toronto, in 1938. He was elected as Moderator in 1948 and served until his retirement in 1951. He died in Toronto on August 13, 1960.

Bridgman, Charles Alfred, 1882-1978

  • Family
  • 1882-1978

Rev. Charles “Charlie” Alfred Bridgman (1882-1978) was a missionary in West China who served there for thirty-five years. He was born in Winona, Ontario on March 20, 1882. He graduated from Victoria College in 1910. In 1912, he was ordained by the Methodist church and was appointed as a missionary in West China. He arrived in West China in 1913 and thereafter specialized in rural work where he ministered and also introduced new types of fruits and vegetables to the region. On June 20, 1917, he married Margaret Jean Modeland, a missionary nurse who specialized in child welfare. They had three children: Christy Jean, Donald Charles, and Elizabeth Ruth. He retired from missionary work in 1948 and returned to his hometown of Winona.

Brown, James George, 1880-1956

  • Person
  • 1880-1956

J.G. Brown was born September 6, 1880 in Lakefield, Ontario. He received his university and theological education in Toronto at Victoria College. He was ordained by the Bay of Quinte Conference of the Methodist Church in 1908. After a few years in pastoral work in Ontario, he came to British Columbia in 1912 and ministered at Enderby and Vancouver (including Turner Institute, Ryerson, and Kitsilano Methodist congregations). He was appointed Principal of the newly chartered Ryerson Theological College in 1923. When, in 1927, Ryerson College and Westminster Hall were merged (following church union), Brown became the first Principal of Union College of British Columbia, affiliated with UBC. Under his administration, the main Union College buildings on campus were erected. He had the task of guiding the College through the Depression and then through World War II. Principal Brown also served as President of BC Conference of The United Church of Canada, 1936-1937. After his retirement in 1948, he lived for three years in Oxford, England, until his return to British Columbia, where he assumed the pastorate of the Church of Our Lord in Victoria. J.G. Brown died October 15, 1956.

Bryce, Peter, 1877-1950

  • Person
  • 1877-1950

Peter Bryce (1877-1950) was a Methodist/United Church minister, administrator and Moderator. He was born in Scotland in 1877. He did mission work in Newfoundland in 1903; in 1906 he moved to Toronto and Victoria University. He was active in Earlscourt and other Sunday School and urban mission work. He later served as Secretary of Missionary and Maintenance (1927-1936), Moderator (1936-1938), and Minister at Metropolitan United Church in Toronto (1938-1950). He died in 1950.

Bula, Omega, d. 2023

  • Person
  • -2023

Omega Chilufya Bula (d. 2023) was a long-time staff member of the General Council Office of The United Church of Canada. She served in the Division of World Outreach as Area Secretary for Southern Africa and Gender Justice, as the first-ever Racial Justice Minister, and as Executive Minister of the former Justice, Global and Ecumenical Relations (JGER) and Partners in Mission Units (PIM). Her commitment to partnership led to the formation of the Partner Council, and was instrumental in shaping the Principles of Global Partnership that guide the global partnership program of The United Church of Canada today. After her work for the General Council Office Omega returned to her home country of Zambia and pursued other social and racial justice endeavors, including with the All Africa Conference of Churches, Peace for Life and the Mindolo Ecumenical Foundation. Omega passed away in 2023.

Burns Lake Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • 1924-

Burns Lake Hospital was located at Burns Lake, British Columbia. The first hospital in Burns Lake opened in 1924 and operated out of a log house. In 1931 construction began on a new 19 bed hospital to replace the log building. The Woman's Missionary Society of The United Church of Canada, the provincial government and the Department of Indian Affairs all made substantial grants and it officially opened in 1932. Then, a new larger and better equipped building was opened in July, 1952. Another building was opened in August, 1960 by the WMS and Ministry of Health Services in the province.

Campus Minister (United Church), UBC

  • Person
  • 1959-

The first United Church Chaplain, Rev. M.J.V. Shaver, was appointed to the University of British Columbia after its creation by BC Conference in 1959. An interdenominational committee, the Anglican-United Joint Chaplaincy Committee, was formed in 1969, through the BC Conference Committee on Church and State in Education, to begin the process of creating a joint chaplaincy at UBC. In 1970 the Anglican United Campus Ministry (AUCM) was created. In 1974, the AUCM and the UBC Student Christian Movement (SCM) merged to form the Cooperative Christian Campus Ministry (CCCM) at the University of British Columbia. In 1979, the SCM left the CCCM and the United Church and Anglican Church continued to operate campus ministry at UBC through the CCCM. In 1986, the CCCM was dissolved and the partnership between the United Church and Anglican Church at UBC ended. Later that year, after a brief period without a United Church campus chaplain, the United Church Campus Ministry (UCCM) at UBC was formed. In 2021, Campus Ministry at UBC became a part of Pacific Mountain Regional Council through the formation of Campus United.

Canadian Memorial Chapel (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1923-1925

Canadian Memorial Chapel was the result of an amalgamation of Sixth Avenue Methodist Church and Fourteenth Avenue Methodist Church. It became known as Canadian Memorial United Church after Church Union in 1925.

Cantwell, Jordan, 1967-

  • Person
  • 1967-

Jordan Cantwell was born in New York in 1967; as a child her parents moved to the Canadian Prairies. She was involved with social justice movements in the 1980s and the United Church of Canada sent her to South Africa in 1993 as an Observer through the World Council of Churches. She officially joined the United Church in the late 1990s, and prior to being ordained worked at The Centre for Christian Studies when it first moved to Winnipeg. She also worked as a staff associate at Augustine United where she served the Oak Table outreach ministry. She earned her Master of Divinity at St. Andrew’s College, and was ordained in 2010. She interned at Delisle-Vanscoy United Church, and served there for seven years before becoming elected as Moderator in 2015. Cantwell’s spouse, Laura Fouhse is a diaconal minister in the United Church. Cantwell served as Moderator from 2015-2018.

Chinese Methodist Mission (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1888-1925

In 1888, a Mrs. M. Monck, daughter of pioneer missionary Rev. Ebeneezer Robson, began teaching English classes to Chinese students in her father's home. In November of that year, Mr. Chan Sing Kai, who had worked in the Wesleyan Methodist School in Hong Kong for the previous eight years, arrived in Vancouver to set up a mission. After three years, he was ordained by the Methodist Church in Canada. The mission initially met in small quarters near Hastings and Abbott, then relocated to quarters on the south-east corner of Hastings and Columbia Streets. As the mission outgrew its space, it moved to 186 Pender Street West, in the heart of Chinatown. A new building was completed at 531 Beatty Street in 1906; it contained a chapel that would accommodate 300, rooms for Sunday school, and a night school. At church union in 1925, the mission joined The United Church of Canada.

Chinese Methodist Mission (Victoria, B.C.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1868-1925

Methodist mission work among the Chinese population of Victoria began in 1868, when services were held in an unused bar room at the corner of Government and Herald Streets. The church also opened a night school. As work grew, the Sanford Mission (named after a donor) was established at Government and Fisgard Streets, where daily classes and Sunday services were held. A new structure was built on Fisgard Street ca. 1890. The work of the congregation was closely connected with the Oriental Home and School on Cormorant Street. At church union in 1925, the congregation joined The United Church of Canada.

Chinese United Church Mission (Victoria, B.C.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-1965

The Chinese United Church Mission in Victoria was created when the Methodist Mission joined The United Church of Canada in 1925. The United Church Year Book last records the existence of the congregation in 1965.

Chinese United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-1992

The Chinese United Church in Vancouver had its roots in the Methodist Church, which joined The United Church of Canada in 1925. Shortly afterward, and to better serve the needs of the Chinese community (which had begun to shift eastward), the congregation relocated from Beatty Street to the corner of Pender Street and Dunlevy Avenue. The new church building and Christian Education Centre were dedicated on December 3, 1929. For nearly 70 years, the mission relied on the Board of Home Missions and the Woman's Missionary Society for financial support and leadership, and was known as the Chinese Mission, United Church of Canada. As it worked toward full self-support, which it achieved in 1955, it became known as the Chinese United Church. The congregation officially amalgamated with Chown United Church on April 14, 1992, becoming Chown Memorial and Chinese United Church, located at 3519 Cambie Street.

Deeprose, Mary Violet, 1903-1991

  • Person
  • 1903-1991

Mary Violet Deeprose was born in Stockdale, Ontario on February 11, 1903. She attended the United Church Training School in Toronto, 1938-1940, and was designated a deaconess by Alberta Conference, August 18, 1941. She was appointed by the Woman’s Missionary Society to the Crosby Girls’ Home in Lax Kw’alaams (then known as Port Simpson), 1940-1944. She left the work due to a family illness. From 1946-1949, she was employed as superintendent of the Mountview Social Service Home (Calgary). She taught in the public school system in Alberta from 1953 until her retirement in 1962. Violet Deeprose died at Drumheller, Alberta on February 22, 1991.

Dorey, George, 1884-1963

  • Person
  • 1884-1963

George Dorey (1884-1963) was a Methodist/United Church minister, administrator and Moderator of the United Church. The bilingual George Dorey came to Canada from the Channel Islands in 1904 at the invitation of James Woodsworth. Educated at Victoria University (B.A.) and Emmanuel College (B.D.), Dorey entered the ministry of the Methodist Church in Saskatchewan in 1914, subsequently serving as Superintendent of Home Missions for South Saskatchewan, 1929-1936; Associate Secretary of the Board of Home Missions, 1936-1945; Secretary of the Board of Home Missions, 1947-1954; Acting Secretary of General Council, 1954-1955; and Moderator, 1955-1956. Dorey had an interest in social and religious work amongst 'new' Canadians in the West, especially in his capacity as Secretary for Home Missions in Saskatchewan. He was concerned that Protestant churches were not doing enough to bring the ethnic groups (Germans, especially the Mennonites, Ukrainians, Austrians and others) into the Canadian mosaic, although he expressed reservations about the idea of assimilation. In detailing his thoughts on home mission work he made use of data from the social surveys done in the 1910s to examine the religious, social and educational accomplishments and needs of new Canadian settlement in Western Canada. Following his retirement, Dorey served as President of the Canadian Council of Churches.

Edgar, George, 1854-1931

  • Person
  • 1854-1931

George Edgar was born on August 24, 1854 on Gabriola Island. He was of Scottish and Tsimshian parentage. He grew up in Lax Kw’alaams (Port Simpson), and served the Hudson's Bay Company on its coastal steamers. In 1877, he responded to the Methodist Church's appeal for a teacher at Kitamaat and began his long association with the coastal mission work headed up by the Rev. Thomas Crosby. From Kitamaat, Edgar's mission work took him to Gitwinksihlkw (Canyon City) and Gitlakdamix (New Aiyansh) on the Nass River, Gold Harbour on Haida Gwaii; Hagwilget and Kitsegucla on the Skeena River; and Hartley Bay and Klemtu on the coast. He was ordained in 1909 by BC Conference of the Methodist Church, in consideration of his years of service. Edgar died on November 7, 1931.

Endicott, James G., 1898-1993

  • Person
  • 1898-1993

James Gareth Endicott (1898-1993) was a United Church minister and missionary to China. The son of James Endicott, he was born in China. He studied at Victoria College, where he was a student leader in the Student Volunteer Movement, the Student Christian Movement, and the Student Council. He was a missionary in China, starting in 1925. He resigned his ministry in 1946. In 1952 he was censured by The United Church of Canada for supporting the Chinese revolution and for accusing the United States of using germ warfare in Korea. He was Chairman of the Canadian Peace Congress from 1948 to 1971, and a member of the World Council of Peace. He was awarded the International Peace Prize by the Soviet Academy of Sciences, and he received an official apology from the United Church in 1982.

Esquimalt United Church

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-

The Esquimalt United Church was founded on May 31st, 1911 and was called Esquimalt Naval and Military Methodist Church. It served the community in the area of District of Esquimalt and Victoria West. Rev. Thomas Keyworth was appointed as the first Minister of the Methodist Church. The first worship services were held in what was known as Kent's Hall on Sunday, June 11, 1911. At that time, Sunday School was formed by the Ladies Aid Society. Sunday School was being held at the Methodist Soldiers Home of that time. On September 11, 1913, a new building located on the corner of Admirals Road and Lyall Street was opened.

Farquharson, Walter Henry, 1936-

  • CAN
  • Person
  • 1936-

Walter Henry Farquharson (1936-) was born in Rosetown, Saskatchewan. He received a B.A. from the University of Saskatchewan in 1957, and received a B.D. in 1961 and a D.D. in 1975 from St. Andrew’s College in Saskatoon. He married Joan Casswell in Saskatchewan in 1958 and was ordained by Saskatchewan Conference in 1960. From 1960-1961, he was an assistant at Morningside Parish in Edinburgh, and from 1961-1976 as minister at Saltcoats in Bredenbury Pastoral Charge. In 1966 when Saltcoats had a crisis in their school he took up the challenge of teaching. He was appointed Principal of Saltcoats Junior High, completed his diploma in Education and taught at the Yorkton School Unit over seven years. Walter Farquharson served as Moderator from 1990-1992. Farquharson was also involved in many committees, he chaired Yorkton Presbytery, was President of the Saskatchewan Conference, Senate at St. Andrew’s College, Board of Directors at the Prairie Christian Training Centre. He was a prolific writer of hymns, publishing over 60.

Fong, Dickman

  • Person
  • 1860-1946

(中文版在下面) Rev. Fong Dickman, originally known as Fong, Tak Man, was born in 1860 in Yan Ping, Kwangtung [Canton or Guangdong], China. He came to Canada in 1884 to seek a better life. Initially Mr. Fong made a living by driving stagecoaches between Vancouver and New Westminster, B.C. While attending a mission school at night, first in New Westminster and subsequently in Vancouver, Fong developed a keen interest in Christianity. He was baptized at the Princess Street Methodist Church in Vancouver, and appointed to the Chinese Methodist Church in Nanaimo in 1898 as a missionary at large. At that time, his name was Anglicized to “Dickman.” In 1906, Fong Dickman was transferred to Vancouver to set up and produce the Wa-Ying Yat-Po, (华英日报, the Chinese-English [or Chinese-Canadian] Daily Newspaper, 1906-1909), one of the very early (if not the first) newspapers in the Chinese language published in Canada. After 25 years of service, Fong Dickman was ordained by the Methodist Church of Canada in 1923. During his lifetime, he served in pastoral ministry at Nanaimo (1898-1906 and 1913-1921), Vancouver (1906-1913), New Westminster (1922-1930), and Edmonton (1930-1939). Rev. Fong Dickman retired in 1939, living in New Westminster until 1942, then residing in Vancouver from 1943 until his death on April 10, 1946.

Fong Dickman married Jane Chang in Victoria in 1899, and the couple had four daughters: Lavina Fong Dickman, who later became Lavina Cheng; Esther Fong Dickman; Anna Fong Dickman, who became Anna Lam; and Mary Fong Dickman (who died at a very young age). Aside from their loyal assistance with the church work, Anna was the first Chinese Canadian to become a registered nurse in B.C. and Esther, a school teacher in Vancouver. Mrs. Fong Dickman died in 1927. Beyond missionary work, Rev. Fong Dickman enjoyed creative writing, featuring early Chinese immigrants from his pastoral perspective. Rev. Fong Dickman was a philanthropist, who was noted to have supported a missionary in the city of Fat Shaan in Fong Dickman’s native province in south China.

Rev. Fong Dickman,原名冯德文(Fong, Tak Man),1860年出生于中国广东恩平。他于 1884 年来到加拿大寻求更好的生活。冯先生起初在Vancouver 和 New Westminster之间以驾驶驿马廂车为生。 晚间, 先在New Westminster,尔后在 Vancouver, B.C., 就读教会学校习英文。其间对基督教产生了浓厚的兴趣。他在温哥华的公主街卫理公会教堂受洗,并于1898 年被任命为传教士前往纳奈莫的中国卫理公会任职。同时他的名字被英化为Dickman。 1906 年,Fong Dickman 被调往温哥华,组织并创办了《华英日报》(the Chinese English [Chinese-Canadian) Daily Newspaper,1906-1909). 这是最早的(如果不是第一的话)在加拿大出版的中文报纸之一。为教会工作了 25 年后,Fong Dickman 于 1923 年受封立为牧师。在他的一生中,他在纳奈莫 (1898-1906 和 1913-1921)、温哥华 (1906-1913)、新威斯敏斯特 (1922-1930) 和埃德蒙顿 (1930-1939) 担任牧师职务。Rev. Fong Dickman于 1939 年退休,直到 1942 年他住在不列颠哥伦比亚省的New Westminster市。从 1943 年开始住在Vancouver, B.C. 直到 1946 年4月10日离世。

一八九九(1899) 年,Rev. Fong Dickman 迎娶了维多利亚的Jane Chang小姐,他们育有四个女儿:Lavina Fong Dickman (后来成为 Lavina Cheng); Esther Fong Dickman;Anna Fong Dickman(后来成为了 Anna Lam);以及Mary Fong Dickman (不幸英年早逝)。除了他们对教会工作的忠诚协助外,安娜是第一位成为卑诗省注册护士的华裔加拿大人。 Esther 是温哥华的一名学校老师。Fong Dickman 夫人于 1927 年去世。除了传教工作之外,Rev. Fong Dickman 还喜欢创作,从他的宗教信仰角度描绘早期的中国移民。Rev. Fong Dickman是一位慈善家。他以有限的薪水资助过他故乡的一名传教士,

Freeman, Barnabas Courtland, 1869-1935

  • Person
  • 1869-1935

Barnabas Courtland Freeman was born in Frontenac County, Ontario, in July, 1869. He went to Saskatchewan as a missionary in 1891, was ordained by the Manitoba and Northwest Conference of the Methodist Church in 1892, and was married to Ida Lawson of Frontenac County the same year. In 1893, he travelled west to British Columbia, serving among the Indigenous peoples at Skidegate, Lax Kw’alaams (Port Simpson), Port Essington, and Cape Mudge. In 1910 he ventured south to serve pastorates in Cumberland, Revelstoke, Port Coquitlam, and Vancouver. He was elected President of B.C. Conference in 1920. Freeman died at Cape Mudge in 1935. Throughout most of his career, he wrote poetry, short stories and essays. His poetry was published in The New Outlook, The Christian Guardian, and other church periodicals.

Giuliano, David, 1960-

  • Person
  • 1960-

David William Giuliano (1960-) was born in Jerseyville, Ontario and raised in Windsor, Ontario. He married his wife, Pearl E. Ryall in 1959. He earned a B.A. from Guelph University in 1982, and following that, worked at the University as a Human Rights Commissioner, Conference Co-Ordinator and Residence Manager. He earned a Master of Divinity in 1986, and a Master of Theology in 1987 from Queen’s University. He was ordained by London Conference in 1987 and began work as a minister at St. John’s United Church in Marathon, where he remained until he was elected to serve as Moderator of the United Church from 2006-2009. Aside from pastoral duties, Giuliano served the church as Chairperson of the Pastoral Relations Committee and Outreach and Social Action Committee for Cambrian Presbytery, and a member of the Presbytery Planning Committee and Youth Event Planning Committee for Cambrian Presbytery, the Local Justice Concerns and Ordination Interview Committees for MNO Conference, and the National Learning on the Way.

Hafford Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • c. 1922-1941

The Hafford Hospital was first built around 1922, by the Missionary Society of the Methodist Church of Canada. The first superintendent was the Rev. G. Dorey, who would later become Moderator of the United Church of Canada (successor to the Methodist Church in Canada). Dr. S.M. Scott was the first doctor to serve the hospital, followed by Dr. Rose, who was later joined by Dr. Paulson. The Hafford Hospital Ladies Aid Society, formed 1924, was involved in raising money to support hospital activities. After financial difficulties in the 1930s, the hospital was eventually closed, in 1941, due to lack of funds. In 1946, the Municipality of Redberry and the Village of Hafford bought the building and its equipment from the Missionary Society, then re-opened it as the Hafford Union Hospital.

Hooper, Lloyd Charles, 1916-2009

  • Person
  • 1916-2009

Lloyd Hooper was born Jan. 25, 1916, in Salford, Ontario. He was ordained in 1954 and served as a minister of the United Church of Canada in many small towns in B.C. including Cape Mudge, Skidegate, Fruitvale, Brentwood Bay, Greenwood, Chemainus, Tahsis, and the West Coast of Vancouver Island. He was involved in youth work in all these places in Scouting, 4-H, church youth groups and camps. He died at Nanaimo on October 14, 2009.

Howard, Wilbur Kenneth, 1912-2001

  • Person
  • 1912-2001

Wilbur Kenneth Howard (1912-2001) was a United Church minister and Moderator of the United Church. He was born in Toronto, graduated in theology from Emmanuel College and was ordained by Toronto Conference in 1941. He later did post-graduate studies at Union Theological Seminary in New York and, in 1969, received an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree from Emmanuel College. In 1975, he was given an LL.D. degree from the University of Winnipeg. From 1941 to 1949 he served as Boys' Work Secretary for the Ontario Religious Education Council, from 1949 to 1953 he served as Christian Education Secretary for Manitoba Conference, from 1953 to 1965 as Associate Editor of Sunday School Publications. From 1965 to 1970 he was a member of a team ministry at Dominion-Chalmers United Church in Ottawa. From 1970 to 1981, he served at Emmanuel United Church, also in Ottawa. He served as Moderator of the United Church of Canada from 1974 to 1977. He retired in 1981 and in 1991 he was received into the Order of Ontario

Howse, Ernest Marshall Frazer, 1902-1993

  • Person
  • 1902-1993

Ernest Marshall Frazer Howse (1902-1993), minister, author, and journalist, was born in Twillingate, Newfoundland and educated in Belleville, Ontario, and at Dalhousie University (B.A. 1929), Pine Hill Divinity College (B.D. 1931), Union Theological Seminary (S.T.M. 1932), and the University of Edinborough (PhD 1934). He served charges in Beverly Hills, California (1934-1935), Westminster United Church in Winnipeg (1935-1948), and Bloor Street United Church in Toronto (1948-1970). He served as Moderator of the United Church of Canada (1964-1966). Howse was the author of several books including, 'Saints in politics' (1952), 'Spiritual values in Shakespeare,'(1955) and 'Roses in December,'(1981). His journalism appeared in several major Canadian newspapers, including the Toronto Star and Toronto Telegram, the Winnipeg Free Press and Victoria Sun-Times. In addition, he wrote columns for the United Church Observer, and served on the editorial board of the Christian Century.

Hunter Memorial Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • 1903-

Hunter Memorial Hospital (also known as The Hunter Hospital) was located at Teulon, Manitoba. It was opened in 1903 by the Woman's Missionary Society (WMS) of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. After 1925 it was operated by the WMS of The United Church of Canada. It was situated in a newly-settled area, with large group of Ukrainians who were without medical services. Dr. A. J. Hunter did much medical, social and religious work within the community. When a new 20-bed hospital was opened in 1955, an agreement was made between the WMS of The United Church of Canada and the community of Teulon to operate the hospital jointly for five years, after which time the hospital would become the responsibility of the community. The hospital is still in operation.

Jefferson, Selby, 1866-1946

  • Person
  • 1866-1946

Rev. Selby Jefferson (1866-1946) was born at Gosforth, Newcastle-on-Tyne, England on the 12th of November, 1866. As a young gentleman he became involved with the Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School, and eventually became a local preacher. In 1890 he was received into the ministry of The Methodist Church of Canada in the Newfoundland Conference where he spent 9 years. Two of those years were spent on the northernmost mission of Hamilton Inlet in Labrador. Following this, he was transferred to Nova Scotia Conference where from 1902-1905 he was at a congregation in Louisburg, from 1905-1908 he was at Grafton Street, and from 1908-1910 served the Wesley Church in Hamilton, Bermuda. At Union, Jefferson became a minister with the United Church of Canada. The later years of his active ministry were spent in London Conference, from 1925-1926 at Victoria Street U.C. in Goderich, from 1927-1929 at Brownsville, then 1930 in Salford. In 1931 he was transferred at Superannuation to Toronto Conference for retirement and he died in 1946.

John Neil Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • 1926-

John Neil Hospital was located in Cold Lake, Alberta. Woman's Missionary Society (WMS) medical work was first begun by the Presbyterian Church in Canada in 1921, when a building was rented for hospital use and church services. In 1925 the medical work at Cold Lake became the responsibility of the WMS of The United Church of Canada. John Neil Hospital was opened in July 1926 through church and community funding by the WMS. It was a 10-bed hospital and named after a former minister of Westminster-Central Church in Toronto which donated much of the funds for the building. A new, larger hospital was opened on July 8, 1958.

Katherine H. Prittie Hospital (Bonnyville, Alta.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1917-

The Katherine H. Prittie Hospital (also known as Bonnyville General Hospital) was located in Bonnyville, Alberta. The hospital was initially held in the farm house of Rev. Dr. John E. Duclos with support of The Woman's Missionary Society of The Presbyterian Church in Canada in 1917. In 1925 a new building was erected by The Woman's Missionary Society (WMS) of The United Church of Canada, with accommodation for 15 patients. This was named the Katherine H. Prittie Hospital, and was opened in July, 1926. At first the WMS retained a doctor who lived 34 miles away, but this did not prove very satisfactory, so in 1929 Dr. H.L.P. Grafton was appointed to Bonnyville. The hospital burned in August, 1934, and was rebuilt in 1935, In the following years many changes took place in the community. The Roman Catholic Church built a larger hospital, schools were opened, and a railway was built to Bonnyville. In 1947 the Alberta Health Department began organizing the province into Municipal Hospital Districts. The future of the hospital became uncertain. The work of the Woman's Missionary Society merged with the Board of Home Mission of the United Church in 1961 and administration of the hospital eventually was passed to the Duclos Hospital Society. The hospital is still in operation today.

Kuper Island Residential School

  • Corporate body
  • 1890-07-23 - 1975-06-30

Kuper Island Residential School was located on Penelakut Island (formerly Kuper Island) near the community of Chemainus, Vancouver Island. It was funded by The Government of Canada and operated by the Roman Catholic Church from 1890-1969. After 1969, the federal government took over administration of the school until it closed in 1975.

Laverty, Alexander Marshall, 1912-2011

  • Person
  • 1912-2011

Rev. Dr. A. Marshall Laverty (1912-2011) was born in Toronto, and educated at the University of Toronto, graduating with honours in 1937. That same year, he was ordained as a minister in The United Church of Canada. He served parishes in Toronto (1937), Manitoulin Island (1937-1939) and Stirling (1940-1941) before enlisting as Chaplain in the Canadian army in 1942, and serving with troops in Europe. After the war, he was appointed as Chaplain at Queen's University; the position the first of its kind to a Canadian university. During his time at Queen's he performed baptisms, marriage ceremonies and funeral services for Queen's people, and was a counsellor and mentor as well. He was also active with numerous charities in the Kingston area, serving on the Frontenac County Board of Education for more than 30 years. He retired as Chaplain in 1983 but remained very active in the community. He received many awards for his service and was made a member of the Order of Canada in 1985. John was married to Frances Laverty.

Lee, Sang Chul, 1924-

  • Person
  • 1924-

Sang Chul Lee (1924-) was born in Siberia, a son of Korean immigrants. At seven, he moved to Manchuria and while there, attended a school operated by the Canadian Mission Board. After World War II he moved to South Korea, and received his theological education there and in Switzerland and Vancouver, Canada. His ordination was in the Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea (PROK), a partner church of the United Church. With his family, Lee emigrated to Canada in 1965; serving a three-point charge in Vancouver. He came to Toronto in 1969 and for twenty years was pastor of the Toronto Korean United Church. Lee served as Moderator of the United Church from 1988-1990. He served as Chancellor of Victoria University, Toronto from 1992-1998.

Lockhart, Wilfred C., 1906 -1991

  • CAN
  • Person
  • 1906-1991

Wilfred Cornett Lockard (1906-1991) was born in Dundalk, Ontario. He received a B.A. from Victoria College, at the University of Toronto in 1929, and a M.A. from Emmanuel College in 1932. He was ordained by Toronto Conference in 1933, and also married his wife, Margaret that year. He served as minister in North Leith Parish, Edinburg from 1933-1935 while earning his Ph.D. in Church History. Following that, he was Secretary of The Student Christian Movement and Padre of Hart House at the University of Toronto from 1935-1940, during which time he was also the first Secretary of the Canadian Committee of the World Council of Churches. He was Minister of Sherbourne Street United in Toronto from 1940-1942, and Kingsway Lambton in Toronto from 1942-1955. He was the first Principal of United College, Winnipeg from 1955-1967, President and Vice Chancellor of the University of Winnipeg from 1967-1971. He served as Moderator of the United Church from 1966-1968, and also served the General Council office as Chairman of Toronto West Presbytery, the Board of Schools and Colleges of the United Church (1946-1955), the Department of Ecumenical Affairs for the Canadian Council of Churches (1946-1955), Winnipeg Presbytery (1962-1963). Lockhart died in 1991.

MacDonald, W. Clarke, 1920-1993

  • CAN
  • Person
  • 1920-1993

W. Clarke MacDonald (1920-1993) was born in Pictou, Nova Scotia. MacDonald graduated from Dalhousie University in 1941. Afterwards, he took his theological training at Pine Hill Divinity Hall in Halifax, was ordained by the Maritime Conference in 1943. In 1944, he received his Bachelor of Divinity from Pine Hill, and married Muriel MacDonald. From 1944-1962, he served pastorates including West Bay (Cape Breton), Black River Ridge (New Brunswick), Port Hawkesbury and Trinity Church (Cape Breton) and also served as Secretary of the Maritime Conference from 1961-1962. From 1962-1971 he was minister at St. Luke’s in Toronto, then, was appointed Secretary of the Board of Evangelism and Social Service in 1971. He served as Moderator of the United Church from 1982-1984. After serving as Moderator, he returned to his position of Deputy Secretary of the Division of Mission in Canada, with the responsibility for the Office of Church in Society and also, was chairman of the ecumenical Project Ploughshares. He retired in 1986 and died in 1993.

Mackenzie, Wayne Oliver, 1917-2000

  • Person
  • 1917-2000

Wayne Oliver MacKenzie was born at Riparia, Washington. He was ordained in The United Church of Canada by BC Conference in 1958. He served pastoral charges in Alert Bay (1958-1961); Bamfield (1962-1963); North Kamloops (1964-1966); Enderby (1967-1971); Squamish (1972-1974); and Revelstoke (1975-1976). MacKenzie retired in 1976 and served the church at Kaslo as retired supply (1978). In his early charges, he served as skipper of the “Robert C. Scott” and pilot of a Cessna, both part of the marine mission work of the Church on the coast. In his later years, he was a vocal member of the Community of Concern, an organization that arose in response to the Church’s decision to ordain qualified candidates regardless of sexual orientation. MacKenzie died in 2000.

Results 1 to 50 of 103