Shaughnessy Heights United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Shaughnessy Heights United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


Shaughnessy Heights United Church began as a Presbyterian Sunday School in April, 1923. The School was in a small hut on the grounds of Prince of Wales (now Shaughnessy) School. From 1923 to 1925, the Sunday School met regularly on Sunday afternoons. By February 1925, various ministers began intermittent worship services for Sunday School parents who increasingly wanted to have a congregation and a church building. Following the formation of the United Church a petition was sent to Vancouver Presbytery, asking for a minister to be appointed without cost to the Board of Home Missions. In March of 1927 a minister was appointed. In 1927, a Building Committee was established, and a church hall was opened and dedicated in November, 1928. But the church hall was inadequate to house both the worshipping congregation and the Sunday School. In 1930 an extension was made to include a gymnasium and other facilities. Through the years the congregation had never lost sight of its dream of a permanent church, and in May 1954, a new sanctuary was opened and dedicated.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places