Title and statement of responsibility area
South West Norfolk Pastoral Charge (Ont.) fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
2.94 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
South West Norfolk Pastoral Charge was established in 1965 with the amalgamation of Lynedoch, Fairground, and Courtland Pastoral Charges. It included: Carholme (closed ca. 1982), Courtland, Cultus, Guysborough (closed ca. 1971), and Lynedoch (closed 2015). It is still an active pastoral charge of the United Church of Canada.
Courtland Pastoral Charge was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. It included Courtland, Guysboro, South Middleton and Bethel Church in Middleton Township. In 1965 it was discontinued, with Courtland United Church and Guysborough United Church becoming part of South West Norfolk Pastoral Charge.
Courtland United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. Courtland Methodist Church was established ca. 1861 and formed part of Courtland Methodist Circuit, which was established in 1884. It joined the United Church of Canada in 1925. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.
Guysboro United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. Guysborough Methodist Church was established ca. 1864 and joined the United Church of Canada in 1925. Guysborough United Church closed in 1971.
Fairground Pastoral Charge was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. It included Cultus, Fairground and Kinglake. The charge was originally known as Kinglake Pastoral Charge, changing its name in 1943. It was discontinued in 1965, when Cultus joined South West Norfolk Pastoral Charge
Cultus United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. Cultus Methodist Church was established ca. 1871 as a Methodist Episcopal Church and it joined the United Church in 1925. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.
Fairground United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist; it closed ca. 1967
Lynedoch Pastoral Charge was formed in 1925, formerly Presbyterian and Methodist. It included Lynedoch, Wyecombe and Carholme, and was discontinued ca. 1965 when South West Norfolk Pastoral Charge was formed. Lynedoch Methodist Circuit was formed in 1884; it included Silver Hill, Jericho, Glenshee, Wyecombe, and was discontinued when the United Church was formed in 1925. Lynedoch Presbyterian Pastoral Charge was formed ca. 1870, and included Silver Hill, Delhi and Carholme; it was discontinued when the United Church was formed in 1925.
Lynedoch United Church was established in 1925, formerly Union. Lynedoch Presbyterian Church was established ca. 1870; it joined the United Church in 1925. Lyndoch s amalgamated with both Courtland and Cultus on December 31, 2014
Wyecombe United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist; it closed ca. 1968. Wyecombe Methodist Church was established in 1906; it joined the United Church in 1925
Carholme United Church was established in 1925, formerly union; it closed in 1982
Carmel Methodist Church was active from at least 1902; it joined the United Church in 1925
The Middleton Circuit of the Evangelical Association, Canada Conference, served German-speaking Canadians in the south-west region of Ontario, with preaching points at Zion Church, Middleton, Calvary Church, South Norwich, Glenshee, Jericho and Elmwood, during the period, 1885-1904.
This material forms part of the Ontario Regional Councils program of the United Church of Canada Archive.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records, including baptisms, 1887-1900, of Courtland Methodist Circuit (includes Bethel, Middleton Township; South Middleton; Walsingham Methodist Episcopal Circuit), 1873-1924; circuit register of Lynedoch Methodist Circuit (includes Charlotteville Methodist Episcopal Circuit, Silver Hill, Wyecombe, Jericho, Glenshee), 1876-1899; records of Cultus Methodist Church (includes Port Rowan Methodist Mission), 1874-1909; records of Wyecombe Methodist Church, 1874-1914; records, including marriages, 1897-1920, of Courtland Methodist Church, 1880-1922; records of Guysboro Methodist Church, 1898-1922; Ladies Aid minutes of Carmel Methodist Church, Fairground, 1918-1920; records, including baptisms, 1914-1923, marriages, 1896-1922, of Lynedoch Presbyterian Pastoral Charge (includes Silver Hill, Delhi, Carholme), 1870-1924; records of Lynedoch Presbyterian Church, 1876-1924; records of Carholme Presbyterian Church, 1901-1924; records, including baptisms, 1887-1903, marriages, 1883-1900 and burials, 1895-1904, of Middleton Evangelical Association Circuit (includes Zion Church in Middleton, Calvary Church in South Norwich, Glenshee, Jericho, Elmwood), 1870-1904; records, including baptisms, 1899-1965, marriages, 1902-1966, burials, 1906-1966, of Lynedoch Pastoral Charge (includes Lynedoch Methodist Circuit, Charlotteville Methodist Episcopal Circuit, Carholme, Wyecombe), 1880-1966; records, including marriages, 1936-1941, of Fairground Pastoral Charge (includes Cultus, Kinglake, Kinglake Methodist Circuit), 1902-1964; records, including baptisms, 1939-1957, marriages, 1945-1999, burials, 1937-1999, of South West Norfolk Pastoral Charge (includes Fairground Pastoral Charge, Cultus, Kinglake, Courtland, Guysboro, Wyecombe, Lynedoch, Carholme), 1939-1992; records of Lynedoch United Church (includes Lynedoch Methodist Church), 1865-2014; records of Carholme United Church (includes Carholme Presbyterian Church), 1905-1982; records of Fairground United Church (includes Fairground Methodist Church), 1907-1995; records, including baptisms, 1941-1967, marriages, 1958-1967, burials, 1898-1967, of Courtland United Church (includes Courtland Methodist Church), 1909-2004; records of Wyecombe United Church, 1926-1977; records of Guysboro United Church, 1930-1971; and records of Cultus United Church, 1930-2006
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Parts of the textual records are available on microfilm reel(s) LCM-7, LCM-12, LCM-37, and LCM-225: positive and negative; 35mm. For a listing of these records, see the LCR Microfilm Shelf List. LCM reels are available through Inter-Library Loan.
Restrictions on access
Access to baptismal, marriage and burial registers may be restricted according to relevant privacy legislation.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use microfilm where available.
Hamilton Conference - finding aid 290
Uploaded finding aid
Includes records of former Fonds 1260; Lynedoch United Church (Ont.), Fonds 1343: Courtland Pastoral Charge (Ont.), Fonds 1376: Lynedoch Pastoral Charge (Ont.) and Fonds 1664: Carholme United Church (Ont.).