Item 1990.168P/10 - St. Clair Avenue United Church School, Junior Department, 1935 - 1936

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Clair Avenue United Church School, Junior Department, 1935 - 1936

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Item

Reference code

CA ON00340 F2516-1990.168P/10

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 photograph

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1966-)

Administrative history

St. Matthew's United Church, located at 729 St. Clair Avenue near Rushton Road, was founded in 1966 when St. Clair and St. Columba United Churches amalgamated It was soon joined by Epworth United Church and Oakwood United. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

St. Clair United Church was Methodist in origin, starting in 1876 when residents of the Bracondale neighbourhood began meeting in various homes. A meeting house was erected in 1878, and in 1890 a new building was dedicated at the corners of St. Clair and Rushton, known at Zion Methodist. A subsequent rebuilding on the same site from 1914-1924, and a new name, St. Clair, was adopted prior to the congregation joining the United Church in 1925.

St. Columba was originally a Presbyterian Church mission, at the corners of Alcina Street and Vaughan Road in 1890. This work was abandoned in 1896 and a subsequent mission in 1902 developed into a new church at St. Clair and Vaughan (1903), known as Wychwood Presbyterian. In 1918 the name was changed to St. Columba, and new construction in 1924 resulted in a larger church joining the United Church in the following year.

Epworth United, located at the corners of Yarmouth and Christie streets, south of Dupont Street, was erected in 1890 as a Methodist Church. It joined with St. Matthew's in 1981.

Oakwood United Church began life as a mission of the Earlscourt Methodist Church in 1913, and became a separate church in 1917 with a building near the corners of Vaughan Road and Glenora. In 1975 it joined with St. Matthew's as a two-point charge, later being absorbed into the larger congregation.

Custodial history

Forms part of accession 1990.168L.

Scope and content

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Accompanying material

Accompanied by list of persons in photo.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

CAN

Institution identifier

ON00340

Rules or conventions

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres