Fonds F1043 - Toronto United Church Council fonds

标题和责任声明版块

正题名

Toronto United Church Council fonds

总体资料名称

  • Multiple media

并列标题

其他标题信息

标题 责任声明

标题说明

描述层级

Fonds

参考代码

CA ON00340 F1043

版本版块

版本声明

版本责任声明

资料细节等级版块

比例说明(地图的)

投影说明(地图的)

坐标说明(地图的)

比例说明(建筑的)

发行方管辖权和名称 (集邮的)

创建日期版块

日期

物理描述版块

物理描述

9.99 m of textual records and other materials

出版社连续出版物版块

出版社连续出版物的正题名

出版社连续出版物的并列标题

出版社连续出版物的其他标题信息

与出版社连续出版物相关的责任声明

出版社连续出版物编号

对出版社连续出版物的说明

文献著录版块

创建者名称

(1892-)

管理历史

The Toronto United Church Council was established in 1892 under the Methodist Church (Canada) as the Methodist Social Union of Toronto. The Unions objectives were, according to the 1898 Constitution, to promote fellowship, social intercourse, and spiritual life among members of the Methodist Churches; Cultivate the connexional principal of Methodism; to give advice and assistance to church indebtedness and location of churches and church buildings; and in practicable ways to promote the interest of the Methodist Church in Toronto. The Majority of its work involved responding to pleas from Toronto area churches for financial aid. In 1894, The Toronto City Missionary Society of the Methodist Church was established. The Object of the society was to carry out city mission work in Fred Victor Mission as well as other locations around the city as deemed desirable. The directors of the society were appointed annually by the quarterly board of the participating Methodist congregations. The society directed Victor Home, Italian missions, Fred Victor Mission, and fresh air work in the city of Toronto. In 1901 the society changed its name to The Fred Victor Mission Society of the Methodist Church, while its directives remained the same. In 1907, the name of the society was again changed in order to better reflect the work that they did. The new name was The Toronto City and Fred Victor Mission Society of the Methodist Church. In 1912, the Methodist Social Union of Toronto amalgamated with the Toronto City and Fred Victor Mission Society of the Methodist church to create the Methodist Union of Toronto. This new Union carried out city mission, church extension and social service work in Toronto and its suburbs. It also had an advisory role in decisions such as the location of new church sites and the erection or removal of churches. Given the power to acquire property by purchase, gift or lease and money by bequest, donation or subscription, the Union was able to maintain Trust Funds and fulfill its objectives. The Loan Fund made available interest-free loans for the purchase of new sites, the construction of buildings on existing sites, and assistance to financially troubled churches. In 1926, the Methodist Union at 141 Jarvis Street was officially replaced by the Toronto Church Extension and Mission Union of the United Church which continued the activities pursued by the Methodist Union of Toronto, the former Toronto Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church of Canada, and the Missionary Society of the Congregational Church. The Union also advised on the selection of sites for new churches in the three Toronto Presbyteries (Toronto Centre, Toronto East and Toronto West). When allocating financial aid to churches, especially regarding mortgages, the Finance Committee of the Union evaluated each situation individually according to the needs and financial strength of the community involved. In order to undertake its home mission work, the Union could: acquire real or personal property; mortgage, hold or dispose of property; receive money from various sources; and maintain a trust fund. The Union at 139 Jarvis Street in Toronto was unofficially renamed the Toronto Home Missions Committee in 1933. It changed its name officially in 1935 to the Toronto Home Missions Council of the United Church of Canada. At this time the Council also underwent a change in structure. The council was made up of representatives of the three Toronto presbyteries, and the Secretary of the Board of Home Missions. Financially, the Council was supported by the Board of Home Missions and donations of the Toronto Congregations and individuals. The Council remained at the same address, and continued to direct the same work. In 1973 the Toronto Home Missions Council updated its objectives and changed its name to the Toronto United Church Council. The duties of the Council, according to a 1972 reprinting of its constitution, were to supervise and administer, in conjunction with the Board of Home Missions, the four Presbyteries of Metropolitan Toronto and Toronto Conference, the work of City Missions, Church Extension and other areas of evangelism and social service assigned to it; to promote welfare of the churches and missions in the Toronto Presbyteries; to have oversight of additional work of common interest such as the Victor Home for Women and Fresh Air Work; to establish, maintain and expend funds available for prosecution of this work; to receive bequests, donations and subscriptions for this work; to present the claims of the work to the congregation of the Presbyteries concerned; and to acquire property required for its purpose. In 1973 The Fred Victor Mission began steps to become an incorporated entity. In 1984, the Fred Victor Mission became incorporated with a director appointed by the Toronto Conference Executive. The Victor Home became incorporated as the Massey Center for Women in 1989. In 2008 the Dufferin - Peel Church Extension Presbytery amalgamated with the Toronto United Church Council under the name Toronto United Church Council.

保管历史

This material forms part of the Ontario Regional Councils program of the United Church of Canada Archive.

范围和内容

Fonds consists of the following series: minutes and reports, 1892-2007; legal records, 1910 - 1989; property records, 1843-1994; mission records, 1843-1990; non-church institutions records, 1906-1993; bequests, 1894-1977; subject/ correspondence files, 1898 -2004; and financial records, 1909-1986, and photographs.

说明版块

物理条件

藏品直接来源

整理

资料的语言

资料文字

原件位置

其他格式的可用性

检索限制

Some restrictions may apply

控制使用, 复制, 和发布的术语

索引指南

相关资料

增加

Further accruals are expected

物理描述

Includes:
180 photographs
65 maps
13 architectural drawings
2 audio disc : vinyl, 33 1/3 rpm

备选标识符

Accession

1984.050C

Accession

1993.029C

Accession

1995.110C

Accession

1996.109C

Accession

1999.116C

Accession

2000.107C

Accession

2003.135C

Accession

2010.096C

Accession

2013.139C

Accession

2013.177C/TR

Accession

2018.071C/TR

标准书号版块

标准书号

检索点

主题检索点

地点检索点

体裁检索点

控制版块

著录记录标识符

机构标识符

规则或惯例

状态

细节层级

创建, 修改以及删除日期

描述语言

著录文字

来源

登记版块