Title and statement of responsibility area
Trinity - St.Paul's United Church (Toronto, Ont.) fonds
General material designation
- Graphic material
- Textual record
- Architectural drawing
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Trinity-St.Paul's United Church (Toronto, Ont.)
- United Church of Canada Archives
Physical description area
7.92 m of textual records
4 architectural drawings
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Trinity-St.Paul's United Church was established in 1980 when St. Paul's-Avenue Road United Church and Trinity United Church joined together in the Trinity building, located at 427 Bloor Street West (corner of Bloor and Robert streets, just west of Spadina Avenue). It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.
Trinity United Church was established in 1925; formerly Methodist. Trinity Methodist Church was established in 1887; originally known as Western Methodist Church. The church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925. It joined with St. Paul's-Avenue Road United Church to form Trinity-St.Paul's United Church in 1980.
St. Paul's - Avenue United Church was located on Avenue Road at Webster Avenue, just south of Davenport Road in Toronto, and combined former Methodist and Presbyterian congregations when establihsed in 1930. It joined with Trinity United Church to form Trinity-St. Paul's United Church in 1980.
St. Paul's Methodist Church, located at 121 Avenue Road, began as a Primitive Methodist mission in Yorkville in 1844 on Cumberland Street. In 1867 a new church was built at Yonge and Davenport (St. Paul's Primitive Methodist), and about 1887 the new church was opened at 121 Avenue Road.
Avenue Road Presbyterian, began as a Sabbath School in 1868, locating the following year at Bedford and Davenport roads. In 1898 the Church of the Covenant (so-named in 1893) was built at Avenue Road and Roxborough Street, changing its name in 1906 to Avenue Road Presbyterian.
Both Avenue Road and St. Paul's joined the United Church in 1925, and in 1930 the two were combined as St. Paul's - Avenue Road, and made use of the St. Paul's building. The old Avenue Road church was first taken up by the Christian and Missionary Alliance, and later became the temple of the Hare Krishna movement. St. Paul's - Avenue Road joined with Trinity United to form Trinity - St. Paul's United in 1980.
St. Paul's Centre at Trinity was established in 1974 as St. Paul's Centre at Avenue Road United Church; in 1980 it became part of Trinity-St. Paul's United Church
This material forms part of the Ontario Regional Councils program of the United Church of Canada Archive.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records, including baptisms, 1868-1875 and marriages, 1868-1925, of St. Paul's Methodist Church (includes St. Paul's Primitive Methodist Church, Yorkville Circuit), 1866-1925; records of Trinity Methodist Church, 1884-1924; records of Avenue Road Presbyterian Church (includes Church of the Covenant), Toronto, 1892-1925; records, including marriages, 1925-1930, of St. Paul's United Church (includes St. Paul's Methodist Church), Toronto, 1905-1930; records of Avenue Road United Church (includes Avenue Road Presbyterian Church), 1912-1930; records, including baptisms/marriages/burials, 1909-1944, baptisms, 1948-1961, marriages, 1917-1982, of Trinity United Church (includes Trinity Methodist Church), 1909-1982; records, including baptisms, 1913-1978, marriages, 1913-1958, 1967-1978, and burials, 1913-1978, of St.Paul's Avenue Road United Church (includes St. Paul's United Church, St. Paul's Methodist Church, Avenue Road United Church, Avenue Road Presbyterian Church), Toronto, 1912-1982; records of St.Paul's Centre at Trinity, 1974-1992; and records, including baptismal stubs, 1962-1995, of Trinity-St.Paul's United Church (includes Trinity United Church, St. Paul's-Avenue Road United Church), 1962-2007.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Parts of the textual records are available on microfilm reel(s) LCM-178: positive and negative; 35 mm. For a listing of these records, see the LCR Microfilm Shelf List. LCM reels are available through Inter-Library Loan.
Restrictions on access
File 4 in Box 37 is restricted until 2063.
Access to baptismal, marriage and burial registers may be restricted according to relevant privacy legislation.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use microfilm where available.
Toronto Conference - Metropolitan Toronto - finding aid 289
Uploaded finding aid
Further accruals are expected.
Includes records of the former Fonds 2513: St. Paul's - Avenue Road United Church (Toronto, Ont.) and Fonds 2514: Trinity United Church (Toronto, Ont.).
Index of baptisms, marriages, and burials before 1925 available in the Reading Room. See publication Trinity-St. Paul's United Church (formerly Methodist and Presbyterian) Toronto, Ontario, Ontario Genealogical Society.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
- Trinity United Church (Toronto, Ont.) (Subject)
- St. Paul's Centre (Toronto, Ont.) (Subject)
- Avenue Road Presbyterian Church (Toronto, Ont.) (Subject)
- St. Paul's Avenue Road United Church (Toronto, Ont.) (Subject)
- St. Paul's Methodist Church (Toronto, Ont.) (Subject)
- Trinity Methodist Church (Toronto, Ont.) (Subject)
- Yorkville Primitive Methodist Church (Toronto, Ont.) (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion