Title and statement of responsibility area
United Church of Canada Board of Information and Stewardship fonds
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1940-1973, predominant 1954-1968 (Creation)
- United Church of Canada. Board of Information and Stewardship
Physical description area
8 m of textual records and other material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Board of Information and Stewardship was authorized by General Council in 1954 to gather together the literature services of several different Boards and committees, the publicity activities of the Church, the production of audio-visual services, and the education for missions activity. To coordinate these Departments there were Directors of Audio-Visual Services, Broadcasting, and Press and Information, and an Editor of Missionary Education Publications. The cooperative nature of the Board can be seen in its membership: along with a Chairman, Secretary, Associate Secretary and Assistant Secretaries, there were to be representatives of fifteen United Church Boards, societies and publications. The Executive Committee was designed in much the same manner. The Board also enjoyed relations with Conferences, usually through the Conference Communications Committees, Conference and regional literature distribution depots, and regional broadcasting centres. At the centre of the new Board was the creation and activity of Berkeley Studio which opened in 1956. Here were produced the photographs, film and filmstrips, recordings and radio and television productions that promoted the work of the United Church. In 1966 the Christian stewardship function was removed and consolidated with the Missionary and Maintenance Department of the Board of Finance and the name changed to Board of Information. The Board was disbanded in 1968; most of its responsibilities and staff were transferred to the new Division of Communication.
This material forms part of the General Council program of the United Church of Canada Archive.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of five series: records of meetings and of the Board Executive, 1954-1968; records of the Department of Audio Visual Services, 1949-1970; records of the Department of Broadcasting, 1955-1973; records of the Department of Press and Information, 1960-1968; and records of the Department of Missionary Education, 1957-1962.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Before copies are made of any radio programmes originating from the United Church of Canada, all existing authors' or actors' rights must be investigated.
Uploaded finding aid
See related materials in the following fonds: See United Church of Canada Division of Communication fonds (515) for continuing records relating to most functions, and specifically series 12 for filmstrips and accompanying material.
Includes 21 photographs, 17 audio tape reels, 7 audio cassettes.