United Church of Canada Simcoe Presbytery fonds
- Textual record
1.47 m of textual records
Presbyteries in the United Church of Canada are courts of the Church within geographical boundaries made up of a number of Pastoral Charges. Presbytery membership consists of ordained ministers of the Charges within the Presbytery, United Church lay persons, and corresponding members. A grouping of Presbyteries within a larger geographical area make up a Conference, a higher court of the Church. The functions of the Presbytery include: overseeing Pastoral Charges within its bounds, including the designation of new Charges; receiving and disposing of petitions and appeals from lower governing bodies or courts; transmitting the above to higher bodies or courts; licensing lay persons recommended after examination; overseeing education of students looking forward to ministry and supervision of members of the Order of Ministry within its bounds. Simcoe Presbytery was established in 1925 within the boundaries of Toronto Conference. It was discontinued in 2009 with the reorganization of the Toronto Conferenec presbyteries. The area once covered by Simcoe Presbytery currently falls under the administration of both Toronto Living Waters and Toronto Northern Waters presbyteries.
This material forms part of the Ontario Regional Councils program of the United Church of Canada Archive.
Fonds consists of the following series: Presbytery minutes, 1925-2009; records relating to committees/organizations, 1927-2009; subject/correspondence files, 1960-2009; records relating to pastoral charges, 1965-2009; records relating to personnel, 1934-2009; and women's groups records, 1945-2009.
Some restrictions may apply