Title and statement of responsibility area
United Church of Canada Woman's Missionary Society fonds
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1886-1972, predominant 1925-1962 (Creation)
- United Church of Canada. Woman's Missionary Society
Physical description area
35.4 m of textual material and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The United Church of Canada Woman's Missionary Society (WMS) brought together in October 1925 the Women's Missionary Society of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, the Woman's Missionary Society of the Methodist Church (Canada) and the Canada Congregational Woman's Board of Missions. The new Society had its first annual meeting in 1926. Like the earlier societies, it brought the message of missions before the entire community of the Church, while offering financial support and personnel to its own wide mission programme. The Home and Overseas Missions were organized into separate Departments, and other Departments were devoted to Finance, Home Organization, Literature, Periodicals, and Scholarship and Candidates.
The foreign missions were under an Executive Secretary of the Foreign Mission Department (renamed Overseas Missions in 1945), with secretaries responsible for each foreign nation in which the Society served. The women's work encompassed the whole of the modern century's missionary ideal: medical service, including clinics and nursing, but also hospital building, financing and administration; education from the primary to the university level; evangelism, visitation and social service. By the 1950s, control of many of these mission enterprises had been transferred to local leadership. The Society worked in cooperation with the United Church's Board of Overseas Missions in many of these missions.
The home missions were under an Executive Secretary of the Home Missions Department. The Department worked with immigrants and the poor, on Aboriginal reserves where they operated hospitals and schools, and in cities where they ran boarding schools and homes for out-of-town children. The Society originally established a number of schools and hospitals, predominantly in Western Canada, but these were gradually turned over to government administration.
In 1962 the Society's overseas missions work was merged with the new Board of World Mission; the home missions work was merged with the Board of Home Missions. Other work was incorporated into the Board of Women, established in 1962, and into the general work of United Church Boards in which women were achieving more equal participation.
This material forms part of the General Council program of the United Church of Canada Archive.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of twenty-seven series: records of the Dominion Board, 1889-1972; records of the Overseas Missions Department relating to each of the following: Angola, 1924-1961; Honan, 1925-1955; South China, 1929-1950; West China, 1925-1952; Hong Kong and Formosa, 1949-1961; India and Nepal, 1926-1961; Japan, 1886-1961; Korea, 1926-1961; Northern Rhodesia, 1953-1961; Trinidad, 1927-1961; records of the Home Mission Department relating to each of the following: boarding schools and school homes, 1929-1962; Community Missions East, 1932-1962; Department of the Stranger, 1922-1931; Community Missions West, 1926-1962; work with Aboriginal People, 1927-1960; medical work, 1909-1962; work with Japanese and Chinese in Canada, 1927-1962; records of the Scholarship and Candidate Departments, 1948-1961; records of the Home Organization Department, 1944-1962; records of the Literature Department, 1926-1961; records of the Periodicals Department, 1926-1961; records of the Bay of Quinte Conference Branch, 1925-1962; records of the Toronto Conference Branch, 1914-1962; records of the Hamilton Conference Branch, 1925-1962; records of the London Conference Branch, 1926-1962; and historical documents from Conference Branches, 1926-1961.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
All researchers using these records must sign a "United Church of Canada Archives Research Agreement" (Form 26) since these records may include personal information on church staff, members, or clients.
Uploaded finding aid
Includes: 150 photographs, 2 maps, 6 architectural drawings.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Presbyterian Church in Canada. Women's Missionary Society Eastern Division (Subject)
- Presbyterian Church in Canada. Women's Missionary Society Western Division (Subject)
- Methodist Church (Canada). Woman's Missionary Society (Subject)
- United Church of Canada. Board of Overseas Missions (Subject)
- United Church of Canada. Board of Foreign Missions (Subject)
- Canada Congregational Woman's Board of Missions (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
updated Apr. 2019 AZ